"Sleep deprivation is a growing problem, but it can be solved with a few simple tips"
New York, NY (PRWEB) March 09, 2016
According to the CDC, insufficient sleep, or wakefulness disorder, has become a public health problem that affects an estimated 50-70 million U.S. adults with snoring being a major indicator of obstructive sleep apnea.
“A vast majority of my patients suffer from sleep issues, ranging from severe sleep apnea to snoring caused by nasal congestion,” says Dr. Martha Cortes, Founder of Cortes Advanced Dentistry and leading sleep expert in NYC. “To avoid sleep disturbances from mouth breathing due to congested airways, I recommend flushing out the nasal passages on a daily basis using only a saline water based solution with baking soda rather than a decongestant that could lead to chronic nasal congestion called rhinitis medicamentosa.”
Many adults have difficulty achieving the recommended 7-8 hours of sleep each night, even if they aren’t congested. According to data from the National Health Interview Survey, nearly 30% of adults reported an average of 6 hours of sleep per day. That’s almost one third of all adults that are either too stressed, too busy or make poor lifestyle choices. And, people who don't sleep enough are at higher risk for heart disease or stroke.
Below are Dr. Cortes’ 10 simple ways to improve sleep without turning to medication:
1. Create a bedtime ritual by setting a sleep schedule and sticking to it.
2. Work-out for at least 30 minutes every day.
3. Expose yourself to at least 10 minutes of natural daylight each day.
4. Don't let technology distract you: turn the alarm clock around so you can't see the time, turn off your cell phone and television before bed.
5. Eat at least 3 hours before going to sleep.
6. Avoid caffeine after 2pm.
7. Limit alcohol consumption before bed.
8. Make sure your bed is clean and made and your pillow is comfortable.
9. If congested, try Arm & Hammer Simply Saline Nasal Relief -- it moisturizes, clears congestion, and can be used as often or as much as needed–it’s a drug-free mist that has no day-after affect.
10. Snoring can be disruptive to both you and your partner’s sleep but Simply Saline naturally clears congestion to help reduce snoring.
“Remember, always try drug-free solutions to get a better night’s sleep. Sleep deprivation is a growing problem, but it can be solved with a few simple tips,” adds Cortes.