There are few things that will make a home buyer walk away from a sale more quickly than a water issue. House hunters need to ensure that drainage is sufficient on any property before making an offer." - Ryan Larsen, aka "Dr. Drainage", NDS, Inc.
Woodland Hills, Calif. (PRWEB) March 14, 2016
There are few things that will make a home buyer walk away from a sale more quickly than a water issue. Water damage can lead to expensive repairs and toxic mold infestation. As the Spring real estate market warms up over the next several weeks, house hunters need to ensure that drainage is sufficient on any property before making an offer.
Ryan Larsen is a civil engineer at NDS, Inc. who has helped hundreds of home owners with drainage problems. He is known as “Dr. Drainage” as host of NDS's educational YouTube video series on drainage systems and storm water management. With nearly a decade of experience in civil engineering, land development and the building materials and construction industry, Ryan has created a checklist for prospective home buyers to help make sure all water-related issues are top of mind during the sales process.
Three of Ryan’s recommended drainage checks include:
- Walk the perimeter of the house. Make sure to check and see if the dirt adjacent to the foundation slopes away from the house. If the grading of the property slopes toward the home, this could lead to damp or wet crawl spaces, structural damage and toxic mold.
- Find the rain gutter downspouts. Do they drain directly to the ground? Has the water created a low spot for water to collect adjacent to the home? If so, there’s a good chance there’s water intrusion somewhere. Make sure gutter downspouts are carrying water at least 10 feet away from the home.
- Look for cracks in the exterior walls and foundation. If a quarter can slip into a crack, it is a sign that there are foundation settling issues. Primary culprits of major cracks are gutters and downspouts the have failed to deliver runoff water far enough away from the foundation.
Ryan is also available to speak about:
- The most common drainage problems for homeowners
- How to make quick and easy fixes before small problems become big, expensive ones
- The range of costs homeowners can incur from a drainage problem
- How to know if a drainage problem needs to be fixed now vs. waiting until things dry out, esp. how to know if it’s a real emergency
- How to know if a drainage problem needs a professional solution—such as an installation of a drainage system
Available via phone or e-mail
About NDS Inc.:
NDS is a leading manufacturer of stormwater management, efficient landscape irrigation, and water flow management products and solutions for both residential and commercial markets. Headquartered in Woodland Hills, Calif., NDS’s products are sold at major retailers and wholesalers throughout the U.S., and online at http://www.ndspro.com.
Gabriel Marketing Group (for NDS, Inc.)