"With more than 700 species of ants in the U.S., many of which create huge colonies, prevention through exclusion and good sanitation is the key to an ant-free home,” added Hottel.
South Elgin, Illinois (PRWEB) March 14, 2016
Spring is officially here and with it comes one of the most persistent warm-weather pests – ants. As temperatures continue to rise, McCloud Services, warns that America’s number one nuisance pest will invade homes this spring in search of food. While most species present problems in people’s pantries and kitchens, some species can deliver painful bites while others inflict property damage. According to a survey from the National Pest Management Association(NPMA), more than half of consumers list ants as their top pest concern.
“As most homeowners know, ants are especially drawn to the kitchen and their sheer numbers can be daunting” said Patricia Hottel, technical director of McCloud Services. “Pavement ants and carpenter ants are most likely to invade Chicagoland homes this spring, but eliminating food sources can help keep them at bay.”
Of all the U.S. ant species, carpenter ants can pose the most risks for homeowners. Carpenter ants excavate wood in order to build their nests, which can compromise a home’s structural soundness.
Although ants can be difficult to control once they have entered a home, the following preventative measures can play a major role in helping to avoid infestations:
- Wipe up crumbs and food immediately
- Store garbage in sealed containers and remove from the home frequently
- Keep food packages closed or sealed and store products in air-tight containers
- Avoid leaving food out on the counter or pet food out on the floor for long periods of time
- Repair holes or gaps around windows and doors which might permit ant entry
- Seal cracks and holes on the outside of the home including entry points for utilities and pipes
- Keep tree branches and shrubbery well-trimmed and away from the house
- Replace weather-stripping and repair loose mortar around basement foundation and windows
- If you suspect an ant or any pest infestation in your home, contact a licensed pest professional to inspect, identify and treat the problem
“With more than 700 species of ants in the U.S., many of which create huge colonies, prevention through exclusion and good sanitation is the key to an ant-free home,” added Hottel.
Home Protection Plan
McCloud Services offers a home protection plan designed to protect homeowner’s homes and families all year long. The plan includes three scheduled visits during peak pest seasons, and includes interior and exterior inspections. If a pest problem develops between scheduled services, McCloud will take care of the problem at no extra costs. Homeowners can rest easy knowing their home is protected.
For more information on McCloud’s residential home protection plan, please visit:
McCloud Services Annual Home Protection Plan
About McCloud Services
McCloud Services is the leader in integrated pest management solutions. Known for providing the highest level of pest management services and customer care, McCloud Services pest management programs are designed to target immediate pest concerns with the least possible hazard to people, property and the environment. McCloud Services is a regional service provider with locations in Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Missouri, Ohio, Tennessee and Wisconsin. For more information, please visit: http://www.mccloudservices.com.
# # #