In general, if your company has customer, employee, or patient data, it's at risk.
Fairfield, New Jersey (PRWEB) March 28, 2016
CSO Online's 2016 data breach blotter highlights the most recent security breaches of the year. According to the report, last year a record-setting 3,930 data breaches occurred, exposing 736 million records. Some of the more recent security breaches have affected retailers like Gyft, Neiman Marcus, and JB Autosports, tax software developers like Tax Slayer and TaxAct software, Hyatt Hotels, and academic organizations like the University of Central Florida, RateMyProfessors.com, and California Virtual Academies.
According to Andrew Rich, owner and CEO of Quikteks, a New Jersey technical support company, businesses of all sizes are at risk for data breaches. "While it may not surprise you that hackers have targeted tax databases this time of year, your business isn't necessarily safe from harm," he said. "In general, if your company has customer, employee, or patient data, it's at risk."
So, what can you do to protect your customer, employee, or patient data? Rich offered the following tips:
- Provide security awareness training. "If you've ever received an email with a supposed invoice attached in a ZIP folder, you know how easy it is to fall prey to schemes designed to exploit your computer system," he said. "One click is all it takes to infect an entire network."
- Install antivirus and anti-spyware software -- and keep it current. New viruses and malware are introduced all the time, making it important to keep your security software patched with the latest virus definitions and updates.
- Set up a secure firewall to block unauthorized access to your network and its connected devices.
- Use content filters to limit access to approved websites.
- Encrypt sensitive data. Depending on your business type, such as healthcare, this could be mandatory.
- Schedule a free IT assessment from Quikteks. "We'll come in and evaluate your current security and data storage systems," Rich explained. "Showing you areas of weakness and recommending corrective actions."
Whether your business is likely to be a specific target or not, securing your network is an absolute must to protect it from viruses, spyware, worms, malware, network intrusions, hackers, drive-by downloads, phishing emails, and other threats.
Based in Fairfield, New Jersey, Quikteks delivers cutting-edge, reliable and cost-effective business technology solutions to small and medium-sized businesses in the Tri-State area. The company's computer solutions include 24-hour tech support, help desk support, computer support, consulting, and storing valuable and confidential data in a secure cloud.