Honor and Remember Our Community’s Legends of Sport Monday April 18 , 2016
Binghamton, New York (PRWEB) April 06, 2016
The induction dinner, April 18 at the DoubleTree by Hilton in Binghamton, will honor 12 newcomers to the hall established last year by Anthony Quagliata, a Binghamton resident who operates AJQ Sports Management & Marketing. The 12 who’ll join last year’s 16 charter members include Mike Dunham, a native of Endwell whose 10-season National Hockey League career concluded in 2007 with the New York Islanders.
Also this time around, the boundaries of Greater Binghamton have been extended to Montrose, PA from which high school Chris Snee graduated before moving on to distinguished tenures on the offensive lines of Boston College and the New York Giants, respectively.
The featured speaker for the dinner will be Brian Cashman, senior vice president and general manager of the New York Yankees. Cashman has helped the Yankees to four World Series titles during his 19 seasons as the team's GM.
The Induction Class of 2016:
- Dick Barvinchak: Basketball and football player at Chenango Valley and Penn State.
- Mike Dunham: Goaltender on the University of Maine’s 1992-93 National Championship hockey team, 2002 U S Olympic Team silver medal winner and 10 year pro.
- Billy Gabor: Basketball player at Binghamton Central, Syracuse University and the NBA Syracuse Nationals
- William “Wild Bill” Hallahan: Pitcher in the Major Leagues with three teams with 102 wins. Won three World Series Championships with the St. Louis Cardinals.
- Steve Kraly: Played for the Binghamton Triplets; went 19-2 in 1953. Promoted to the New York Yankees and was a member of their 1953 World Series Championship team. He served as the Official Scorer at NYSEG Stadium for Binghamton Mets games from 1992 to 2014.
- Jim Lee: Basketball player at Windsor High and Syracuse University where he was named to their All-Century team. He was the Press and Sun Bulletin Athlete of the Year in 1975.
- Mike Lee: Played at Windsor High and Syracuse University where he was Co-Captain in 1972-73. Named Press and Sun Bulletin Athlete of the Year in 1969.
- Troy Nickerson: Five-time New York High School State Champion in wrestling. Wrestled at Cornell where he was a four-time All-American. Named Press and Sun Bulletin Athlete of the Year in 2002, 2004 and 2005.
- Chuck Rolles: Basketball player at Binghamton Central and Cornell University where he was a Senior Co-Captain. Scored 55 points in a one game for the Big Red. Press and Sun Bulletin Athlete of the Year in 1952.
- Jack Sharkey: World Heavyweight Boxing Champion in 1932. He was inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame in 1994. Fought some of the greats including Jack Dempsey and Joe Louis.
- Chris Snee: He won All-State honors in football at Montrose High and All-America honors at Boston College. Played for 10 years with the New York Giants and won Super Bowl Championships in 2008 and 2012.
- Shirley Smith Sullivan: Golfer who won 23 club titles at Binghamton Country Club. Was the Broome County Women’s Golf Champion in 1948. Competed in the USGA Women’s Open.
The Dinner’s net proceeds directly benefit the local Boys & Girls Clubs of Binghamton and Western Broome, and to establish a location for the Greater Binghamton Sports Hall of Fame.
The Class of 2016 Inductees were selected by an Honorees Selection Committee consisting of: Dave Burch, Tom Corgel, Dick Foley, John W. Fox, Roger Neel, Tim Schum, and Michele Tidick.
The Greater Binghamton Sports Hall of Fame was established to honor our local people (past and present) who have made significant contributions to the world of sports as well as being exemplary individuals. The Class of 2016 Inductees will be honored at the 2nd Annual Greater Binghamton Sports Hall of Fame Induction Dinner to be held on Monday, April 18, 2016 (5:30pm - cash bar, 6:30pm dinner) at the Binghamton Double Tree by Hilton. Tickets can be purchased online at http://www.ajqsports.net/merchandise.html
Greater Binghamton Sports Hall of Fame Dinner
When: April 20 (5:30 cash bar; 6:30 dinner)
Where: Double Tree by Hilton, Binghamton
Cost: $65 per person
Purchase Tickets on Web Site: http://www.ajqsports.net/merchandise.html
Phone: 607-217-5050 (Personal Cell: 607-242-2330)
Charter members (inducted April 2015): Alex Alexander, Fran Angeline, Dick Baldwin, Bob Campbell, John W. Fox, Carl Gaffney, Bess Greenberg, Jack Halloran, Dick Hoover, Isaiah Kacyvenski, Johnny Logan, Ron Luciano, Jim Matthews Sr., Hidy Ochiai, King Rice and Ray Stanton Sr.
AJQ Sports Management & Marketing
Contact: Anthony Quagliata
59 Court Street, 2nd Floor, Suite 202
Binghamton, NY 13901
Web Site: http://www.AJQSports.com
Follow us on Facebook