WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. (PRWEB) April 11, 2016
Now that spring is here, we welcome a new lineup of arts and culture exhibits, performances and displays in Westchester County. Travelers from near and far can take part in the beloved and interactive LIGHTSCAPES, art exhibits, craft fairs and concerts and other seasonal celebrations.
“If you’re interested in arts and culture experience, look no further than Westchester County,” said County Executive Robert P. Astorino. “Tell your friends and family to ‘Meet Me’ in Westchester for an array of exceptional exhibits, musicals, art fairs and our very own illuminated, ‘Nighttime Arts Walk’.”
The following is a preview of upcoming arts and culture events:
- Starting April 29 and running for 20 evenings through May, Historic Hudson Valley, the creators of the Great Jack O’ Lantern Blaze, presents LIGHTSCAPES, a nighttime display of illuminated, original sculpture at Van Cortlandt Manor. Visitors will encounter 15-foot-tall Luna Moth creations, cross a drawbridge over the River of Light and watch “shadow dancing” in front of an interactive silhouette wall. A hospitality tent will offer organic sorbet from Blue Pig of Croton and homemade candy and baked goods from Geordane’s of Irvington. For dates, ticket prices and more information, visit http://www.hudsonvalley.org or call (914) 631-8200.
Outdoor Music, Arts and Craft Festivals
- Come out and listen to an enthralling group of musicians across multiple genres including folk, country, bluegrass, gospel, blues, creole, singer/songwriter, string band, old time tunes and more at the American Roots Music Festival on Saturday, June 25 at Caramoor Center for Music & The Arts. Headliners include Hurray For The Riff Raff, John Fullbright and Sara Watkins. Gates open at 11am. For further information on ticket sales and for a lineup for spring events, visit https://www.caramoor.org/
- Cross County Shopping Center in Yonkers will debut a new lineup of exciting activities for its annual SummerFest celebration running from May through August. Along with outdoor events and promotions, the summer series will include new elements like Bites and Brew, a food tasting event, enhancements to its Style Lounge and fun DJ Dance Parties for Kids and a preview of Yonkers Arts Weekend with the Cross County Shopping Center Art Show in May, featuring more than 300 local and international artists, artisans, painters, fashion designers, photographers, sculptors, craftsmen, musicians and more. For more information, visit http://www.crosscountysummerfest.com, http://www.yonkersny.gov/play/art-museums/yonkers-arts-weekend/about.
- Starting April 29-May 1, the semi-annual Spring Crafts Fair at Lyndhurst, will showcase over 275 modern American makers, artists, designers and craftspeople from across the country. These three days of art and shopping are an experience for the entire family and offer special creative activities and interactive art experiences. For more information about ticket sales and featured artists visit, http://www.artrider.com or call (845) 331-7900.
- Take a tour of the Rosen House, experience a mini concert with Kristin Gornstein and enjoy an afternoon of tea and sweet accompaniments as part of the Caramoor Center for Music & The Arts’ Mothers & Others Tea Musicale on Saturday, May 7 at 1:00pm. For more information and to purchase tickets, visit: https://www.caramoor.org/events/mothers-others-tea-musicale-160507/.
- The Old Salem Farm Spring Horse Shows, which have been classified as CSI-rated competitions by the The Fédération Équestre Internationale (FEI), will have more show jumpers than ever before when they debut on May 10 at the acclaimed Old Salem Farm in North Salem, NY. The schedule includes top competition for hunters, equitation riders and world-ranked jumper riders. For details and ticket pricing visit http://www.oldsalemfarm.net/spring-shows.
Art Showcases + Exhibits
- At 77, Louise Fishman will have her first museum retrospective, featuring works across 50 years, titled Louise Fishman: A Retrospective at the Neuberger Museum of Art. Debuting April 3 and running through July, Fishman uses Abstract Expressionism to create large-scale, gestural abstractions that share the physicality, dynamism, and emotional power of that movement, yet lack the bravado. Visually poetic and intimate in tone, Fishman’s work is informed by a feminist perspective as well as aspects of her Jewish background. For more information, visit: https://www.neuberger.org/exhibitions/upcoming/view1/342.htmlwidth=660&height=500
- Fifteen artists from across the U.S will share visual art, inspired by letters penned by detained migrants, in an exhibit titled Visions From the Inside, opening on Sunday, May 15 at noon at the Hudson Valley Center for Contemporary Art. This illustration project, which is a collaboration between CultureStrike and the migrant-rights advocacy groups Mariposas Sin Fronteras and End Family Detention, will highlight the personal costs of detention and the resiliency of the human spirit of migrants. For more information, visit http://www.hvcca.org/current-exhibitions/.
Book A Hotel
Westchester Marriott offers a family package that includes two adults and two children’s tickets to explore LEGOLAND® Discovery Center Westchester, at Ridge Hill in Yonkers. Kids and their parents alike will see New York landmarks made out of LEGO® bricks, learn secrets from the Master Model Builder, experience LEGO rides and more! Valid through October 9, the package also provides 50% off parking. Call (914) 631-2200 or visit http://www.marriott.com/hotels/hotel-deals/nycwe-westchester-marriott/ to secure a stay.
All groups of 10 or more will receive 15% off at the Hampton Inn & Suites Yonkers. Enjoy a complimentary upgrade for a King Studio Suite, Double HHonors Event Planner points, a Welcome Snack Bag and complimentary access to onsite amenities and hotel services like high-speed Wi-Fi, a dry erase board, projection screen and note pads and pens for all meeting attendees. For inquiries, contact the Sales department at (914) 377-1144 or visit http://www.hamptoninnyonkers.com/offers-en.html.
To stay current on Westchester happenings, check out http://www.visitwestchesterny.com, like us on Facebook follow us on Twitter @westchestertour, or call (800) 833-9282.
About Westchester County Tourism & Film
Tourism & Film is Westchester County’s official destination marketing organization. Its mission is to generate economic benefits by enhancing the image and promoting Westchester County as a premier business and leisure destination in the Hudson Valley region. The Tourism & Film Office in Westchester County is a division within County Executive Robert P. Astorino’s Office of Economic Development.