Orlando, FL (PRWEB) April 19, 2016
Investment Management Consultants Association® (IMCA®) presented five prestigious awards this week at its 2016 Annual Conference, recognizing outstanding contributions to IMCA and the investment industry.
1. Don Phillips is the 2016 recipient of the Matthew R. McArthur Industry Pioneer Award for his outstanding contributions to the profession of investment management consulting. Phillips is a managing director for Morningstar. He joined the company in 1986 as its first mutual fund analyst and soon became editor of its flagship print publication, Morningstar® Mutual Funds™, establishing the editorial voice for which the company is best known. He helped develop the Morningstar Style Box™, the Morningstar Rating™, and other distinctive, proprietary Morningstar innovations that have become industry standards.
2. The J. Richard Joyner Wealth Management Impact Award honors individuals who have contributed exceptional advancements in the field of private wealth management, which is embodied by IMCA’s Certified Private Wealth Advisor® (CPWA®) program. The award recognizes key innovations and thought leadership in any of the following CPWA knowledge domains: human dynamics (behavioral economics and family dynamics); wealth management strategies (tax, portfolio, risk management, and asset protection); client specialization (closely held business owners, executives, and retirement); and legacy planning (charitable and estate planning).
The 2016 recipient is Charlotte B. Beyer. Twenty-five years ago, Beyer founded the Institute for Private Investors, where she has used her Wall Street experience to help improve the relationships between wealthy investors and their financial advisors. She served as chief executive officer for 21 years until her retirement in 2012. She also collaborated with The Wharton School in 1999 to create the first private wealth management curriculum for ultra-high-net-worth families. Her book Wealth Management Unwrapped is modeled after her lectures inside that curriculum and includes the same lessons Beyer shares with her students, more than 800 investors with substantial assets from around the globe. Now, she devotes time to the Principle Quest Foundation, which she founded in 2012 to sup¬port innovative education and mentoring for girls and women.
3. IMCA’s Richard J. Davis Ethics, Legal, Regulatory Insight Award honors the author of an article that has made a significant contribution to advancing the understanding and knowledge of investment consulting and/or private wealth management in the area of ethics, and/or the fiduciary, legal, or regulatory issues that affect these professional practices. The 2016 recipient is Andrew W. Lo, PhD, Charles E. and Susan T. Harris Professor at the MIT Sloan School of Management and director of the MIT Laboratory for Financial Engineering, who was recognized for his paper, “The Gordon Gekko Effect: The Role of Culture in the Financial Industry.”
4. Cheng Yan, PhD, a lecturer in finance at the Durham University Business School in the United Kingdom, earned the 2016 Edward D. Baker III Journal Research Award. The award honors the author of an original article that represents the best writing for the previous year and is germane to investment consulting and/or private wealth management and published in the Journal of Investment Consulting.
IMCA recognized Yan for his paper “Foreign Investors in Emerging Equity Markets: Currency Effect Perspective,” which appeared in the Journal of Investment Consulting in 2015.
5. The Stephen L. Kessler Writing Award honors IMCA members for their excellent editorial contributions during the previous year to IMCA’s Investments & Wealth Monitor. IMCA honored Scott Welch, CIMA®, with the Kessler Writing Award for his article “Managing Client Relationships in a Goals-Based Framework,” which appeared in the November/December 2015 issue. Welch is chief investment officer with Dynasty Financial Partners.
IMCA honored one additional author with a Kessler Honorable Distinction award. Brian Laible, CIMA®, was recognized for his articles “The Trinity of Asset Location: Taxes, Returns, and Time Horizon” from the January/February 2015, and “Bracketology: Lowering Client Taxes with Bracket Management” from the May/June 2015 issue. Laible is managing partner with Landmark Wealth Management.
In addition to these awards, IMCA recognized longtime member and past president John Granzow, CIMA®, with the honorary designation of IMCA Director Emeritus. Granzow is Managing Director – Investments with Wells Fargo Advisors in Charlotte, North Carolina. He served as IMCA Chair during 2010‒2011.
“John Granzow is an excellent example of the kind of quality professionals IMCA counts as its members,” said IMCA Chair Scott Thayer, CIMA®. “Under his leadership, IMCA hired the current CEO, Sean Walters, experienced significant growth in membership, and earned accreditation for CIMA certification. We look forward to John’s ongoing counsel as Director Emeritus.”
Click here to learn more about IMCA’s awards and to read the award-winning articles.
Contact: Ryan Hoffman, Communications Director. P: 303.850.3079 E-mail: rhoffman(at)imca(dot)org. Twitter: @IMCA. Annual Conference hashtag: #IMCA16.
Established in 1985, Investment Management Consultants Association® (IMCA®) is a nonprofit professional association and credentialing organization with more than 10,700 individual members and certificants worldwide. IMCA’s mission is to deliver premier investment and wealth management credentials and world-class education. Since 1988, IMCA has offered the Certified Investment Management Analyst® (CIMA®) certification, which is accredited by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI), to meet international standards (ISO 17024) for personnel certification. IMCA’s Certified Private Wealth Advisor® (CPWA®) certification is suited for wealth management professionals working with high-net-worth clients. In 2015, IMCA conferences, online education and regional seminars hosted more than 4,500 attendees.
IMCA® and Investment Management Consultants Association® are registered trademarks of Investment Management Consultants Association Inc. CIMA®, Certified Investment Management Analyst®, CIMC®, CPWA®, and Certified Private Wealth Advisor® are registered certification marks of Investment Management Consultants Association Inc. Investment Management Consultants Association Inc. does not discriminate in educational opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.