"Spring marks a particularly busy time as pests emerge, looking for sources of food, water and shelter. And, sometimes the simplest home improvements can be all that’s needed to help ward off infestations," said Patricia Hottel, technical director.
South Elgin, Illinois (PRWEB) May 09, 2016
Spring is here! And so are pests. McCloud Services, headquartered in South Elgin, Ill., is encouraging homeowners to be proactive and pest-proof in order to protect their home from an infestation this spring.
“Every day, pest professionals are out in the field, helping homeowners protect their property and family from the potential disease and destruction caused by various pests, including rodents, mosquitoes and ants,” said Patricia Hottel, technical director for McCloud Services. “Spring marks a particularly busy time as these pests emerge, looking for sources of food, water and shelter. And, sometimes the simplest home improvements can be all that’s needed to help ward off infestations.”
In Chicagoland and Illinois, ants can be a spring pest to watch for, especially during the early months. Homeowners may also see some of the common fall invaders start to become active as they search for ways out of structures. Yellow jackets and paper wasps may start constructing nests and rodents, birds and termites will also start to become active.
To assist homeowners in pest-proofing their home this spring, McCloud Services recommends the following:
- Eliminate sources of standing water around the house, including birdbaths and in clogged gutters to help reduce biting mosquito populations. Repair leaking spigots which can provide moisture for pests like ants.
- Seal any cracks on the outside of the home with a silicone-based caulk, including entry points for utilities and pipes.
- Replace weather-stripping and repair loose mortar around the foundation and windows.
- Keep tree branches and shrubbery well-trimmed and away from the house. Overhanging branches can act as pest highways into the home.
- Repair fascia and rotted roof shingles.
- Keep mulch at least 15 inches from the foundation. Mulch can provide moisture and organic material for a variety of pests.
- Keep basements, attics, and crawl spaces well ventilated and dry.
- Store garbage in sealed containers outside the home and dispose of it at least once per week.
- Avoid leaving pet food out in dishes for long periods of time. Dog food left outside can attract rodents and other vertebrate pests.
- Consider partnering with a pest control professional to determine the best preventative service plan to suit your home and needs.
For more information on common household pests or more pest-proofing tips, please visit http://www.mccloudservices.com
About McCloud Services
McCloud Services is the leader in integrated pest management solutions. Known for providing the highest level of pest management services and customer care, McCloud Services pest management programs are designed to target immediate pest concerns with the least possible hazard to people, property and the environment. McCloud Services is a regional service provider with locations in Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Missouri, Ohio, Tennessee and Wisconsin. For more information, please visit:http://www.mccloudservices.com.