With the WorldRemit app, Albanians abroad can now send vital remittance payments instantly to the M-Pesa accounts of their loved ones back home.
(PRWEB UK) 12 May 2016
Money transfer app WorldRemit– the UK’s fastest growing technology firm (Deloitte Technology Fast 50) – has launched instant money transfers to M-Pesa wallets in Albania.
This means that any Vodafone subscriber in Albania can now instantly receive remittance payments on their phone instead of travelling to a foreign exchange bureau to collect cash.
WorldRemit is the leading sender of remittances to Mobile Money services worldwide, with integrations to over 30 services in 20+ countries across Europe, Africa, Asia and the Pacific. Around 120,000 WorldRemit transfers go to Mobile Money wallets every month.
Launched in May 2015, M-Pesa in Albania allows people to deposit and withdraw money at Vodafone M-Pesa agents throughout the country, send money to any Vodafone mobile number in Albania and make bill payments.
Alix Murphy, senior mobile analyst at WorldRemit, comments: “The majority of adults in Albania do not have bank accounts, but mobile phones are widespread. M-Pesa is helping to drive financial inclusion in Albania by providing a secure way for people to send, store and receive money using just their phones.
“Albanians nowadays are in close touch with their family members all over the world through instant messaging services. With the WorldRemit app, Albanians abroad can now send vital remittance payments instantly to the M-Pesa accounts of their loved ones back home. At WorldRemit we make sending money overseas as easy as sending a instant message.”
Note to editors
- Images for press here
- 120,000 transfers on WorldRemit are sent to Mobile Money accounts every month, equivalent to over 25% of all money transfers. More than 50% of all transfers to Africa are currently received as Mobile Money.
- Nearly 100 million individual Mobile Money accounts can be reached as part of WorldRemit’s network of partnerships with leading Mobile Money providers
- Over 30 Mobile Money services in 20+ countries across Europe, Africa and Asia are connected to WorldRemit – literally from Armenia to Zimbabwe.
WorldRemit is changing the way people send money.
It’s easy – just open the app or visit the website – no more agents.
- Transfers to most countries are instant – send money like an instant message.
- More ways to receive (Mobile Money, bank transfer, cash pickup, and mobile airtime top-up).
- Available in over 50 countries and 125+ destinations.
- Backed by Accel Partners and TCV – investors in Facebook, Spotify, Netflix and Slack.
- WorldRemit is the UK’s fastest-growing technology company (Deloitte Technology Fast 50 2015)
WorldRemit’s global headquarters are in London, UK with regional offices in the United States, Canada, Japan, Australia and New Zealand.
About Vodafone Albania M-PESA
Electronic Money Institution Vodafone M-Pesa shpk is the company established by Vodafone Albania Sh.A., which owns 100% of the shares of the company. Vodafone M-Pesa sh.p.k. is registered with the National Registration Center on 27 March 2013, having the unique identification number (NUIS) L31527001N. The company is licensed from the Bank of Albania as an Electronic Money Institution as per the license No. 31 dated 25.03.2015. Vodafone M-Pesa services were officially launched in the Albanian market on 5 May 2015.
More about Vodafone M-Pesa Albania: http://www.vodafonempesa.al