Ottawa, ON (PRWEB) June 28, 2016
A new model by an Ottawa product design company shows the best path forward for businesses building IoT devices.
Design 1st, which specializes in Internet of Things product engineering, published the model of technology landscape for smart, connected products. The guideline also offers criteria to help business pick the right development partners to avoid common pitfalls of IoT projects.
“Most companies know IoT hardware product development is difficult, but many underestimate how tough it can be,” says Kevin Bailey, President of Design 1st. “Obstacles like system testing, regulatory compliance, radio and microchip selection, user privacy, and manufacturing - not to mention a jaw-dropping physical design - throw a wrench in traditional hardware product development. This increases the risk of project delays, overruns and overall failures.”
“The development of even the simplest IoT product involves the coordination of many components and suppliers,” adds Bailey. “It is crucial to select the right project management model and partners, as time to market and predictable budget are critical in today's environment.”
Based on 20 years of experience designing and developing telecom and other connected products, Design 1st has identified the top six criteria for selecting a partner to guide IoT development projects:
1. Experience and leadership skills to effectively coordinate multiple supplier and partner relationships
2. Systems design expertise embedded in the team to help architect the complex, overall solution
3. Design and development capabilities that stretch across the complete IoT technology stack
4. UX expertise and a proven development process that captures the needs of users who will work in new ways to support new business models
5. The knowledge necessary to design and document for regulatory requirements in medical device and other industries
6. Experience during product launch to ensure a smooth transition to hardware production and cloud infrastructure setup
Fantasy Scoreboards ran into the typical IoT product development quagmire during the the initial design of its internet-connected NHL home scoreboard. “After a costly false-start with another design company, we came to Design 1st and they quickly got us back on track. They really delivered for us,” said Will Nault, co-founder of Fantasy Scoreboards. Read the complete Fantasy Scoreboards case study. http://www.design1st.com/nhl-scoreboard
The new IoT technology landscape model, video and additional IoT development resources are available here: http://www.design1st.com/iot
About Design 1st
Design 1st is one of the largest, most experienced IoT product design firms in Canada, with over 500 projects, 20 years, and 130 patents under our belt. Our cohesive, multidisciplinary teams can guide you throughout the complete design cycle, all the way through manufacturing setup.