'Japan Center Malls are happy to continue supporting and sharing Japanese cultural arts like Origami in Japantown.' - Adam Straus
San Francisco, California (PRWEB) August 02, 2016
The annual Origami-Palooza is coming to Japantown on Sunday, August 14 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. This year’s event will feature an exhibit with amazing origami, many tables with instructors to show participants new folds for all ages, a table dedicated to folding Paper Cranes for the Annual World Tree of Hope over the holidays and two hot contests that anyone can win with amazing prizes. Anyone and everyone, from young to old, to beginner to experienced, can join us to create amazing things with just a sheet of paper.
Here are the Activities to expect:
- Fold With the Master! Join special guest and award-winning origami artist, Dr. Bernie Peyton, as he teaches a very cool, wearable Cat Hat. He will also conduct an Origami Story fold along. Limited seating, so please come early. Special paper will be provided.
- Contribute to World Peace - Come and fold cranes for the World Tree of Hope in City Hall with members from Rainbow World Fund.
- Break the Record and Help Elephants - This year we are grateful to help the Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS) (https://www.wcs.org/) and Origami USA (https://origamiusa.org/) fold 35,000 Origami elephants and break the Guinness Book of World’s Records at the same time. 35,000 represents the number of elephants killed each year for their ivory. The event will have a folding table dedicated to this effort where visitors can fold the origami elephants.
- Mindfulness through Origami - Expert Vicky Mihara Avery will show attendees how to achieve a meditative state while folding Origami.
- Origami and Media - Expert Linda Mihara demonstrates and shows how Origami is used as a popular media for marketing.
- Expert Origami Instruction - Come see Origami experts create amazing things with paper. Join in one of a dozen instruction tables for origami folders of all levels.
- Paper Airplane Challenge: 3:00 p.m. in Japantown Peace Plaza
The Paper Airplane Challenge is a contest to see who makes the best paper airplanes in the Bay Area for some amazing prizes! Prizes will be awarded to individuals in three categories: Under 8 Years Old, 8-13 Years Old, and 14-100. Each category will be judged on both distance and style. To enter into the Paper Airplane Challenge, apply at the Union Bank Community Room in the East Japan Center Malls from noon to 3:00 p.m. The Paper Airplane Challenge will be judged by local Origami Experts and Community leaders.
- Origami Challenge: 4:00 p.m. in the Union Bank Community Room
Participants can enter their Origami creation to win amazing prizes. Prizes will be awarded to individuals in three categories: Under 6 Years Old, 7-13 Years Old, and 14-100. Each category will be judged on both distance and style. To enter into the Origami Challenge, apply at the Union Bank Community Room in the East Japan Center Malls as early as noon. The Origami Challenge will be judged by local Origami Experts and Community leaders.
Win prizes including gift certificates, lessons, books, paper and more.
Hosted in Partnership with Paper Tree, Mountain Valley Paper Company and San Francisco Recreation and Parks.