In the past 27 years the IAC has grown from a prestigious academy to one of the world's preeminent forums for top Cardiologists and Scientists. These Faculty are the best of the best. We are proud to honor them with these well-deserved awards.
Boston, MA (PRWEB) August 02, 2016
Dr. Asher Kimchi, Founder and Chairman of the International Academy of Cardiology (IAC) today announced the winning recipients of the 2016 IAC Awards at the 21st World Congress on Heart Disease held in Boston, MA, USA. In addition to the IAC awards, the committee also named three faculty to receive the Distinguished Fellowship Awards.
Dr. Asher Kimchi, together with Co-Chairmen Dr. Jeffrey S. Borer and Dr. John A. Elefteriades, headed a committee comprised of 225 of the world's leading cardiologists and scientists that reviewed a prestigious list of nominees and voted for their top choice.
The following awards for 2016 were presented at the Opening Ceremony of the International Academy of Cardiology Annual Scientific Sessions 2016, 21st World Congress on Heart Disease, to honor the memory of distinguished colleagues, all former members of the faculty of previous International Academy of Cardiology meetings who made major contributions to Medicine and Cardiology:
- The Walter Bleifeld Memorial Award for distinguished work in the field of Clinical Research to Yochai Birnbaum M.D., Professor of Medicine, John S. Dunn Chair in Cardiology Research and Education, Department of Medicine, Section of Cardiology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, USA
- The Albrecht Fleckenstein Memorial Award for distinguished work in the field of Basic Research to Tadeusz Malinski, Ph.D., Marvin White Chair and Distinguished Professor of Biomedical Sciences, Ohio University, Athens, Ohio, USA
- The Jan J. Kellermann Memorial Award for distinguished work in the field of Cardiovascular Disease Prevention to Robert S. Rosenson, M.D., Professor of Medicine, Director of Cardiometabolic Disorders, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY, USA
- The Hans-Peter Krayenbuehl Memorial Award for distinguished work in the field of Research in Cardiac Function to Brian D. Hoit, M.D., Professor of Medicine and Physiology and Biophysics, Case Western Reserve University, Director of the Cardiology Fellowship Training Program, University Hospitals Case Medical Center, Cleveland, OH, USA
- The Melvin L. Marcus Memorial Award for distinguished contribution as a Gifted Teacher to Arthur L. Klatsky, M.D., Adjunct Investigator, Division of Research, Kaiser Permanente, Oakland, CA, USA
The 2016 Distinguished Fellowship Awards were presented to three Faculty of the 21st World Congress on Heart Disease:
- Charles H. Hennekens, M.D., Dr.P.H., Sir Richard Doll Professor, Senior Academic Advisor to the Dean, Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine, Florida Atlantic University, Boca Raton, FL, USA
- Shahbudin H. Rahimtoola, MB, FRCP, MACC, FESC, D.Sc. (Hon), Distinguished Professor at University of Southern California, Griffith Professor of Cardiology and Professor of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA, USA
- Nanette K. Wenger, M.D., Professor of Medicine (Cardiology) Emeritus, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA, USA
The Opening Ceremony and Awards Presentations were chaired by Dr. Jeffrey S. Borer, Professor of Medicine, Cell Biology, Radiology and Surgery at the State University of New York Downstate Medical Center and College of Medicine; Adjunct Professor of Cardiovascular Medicine in Cardiothoracic Surgery at Weill Cornell Medical College; Chairman, IAC Scientific Executive Committee and Dr. John A. Elefteriades, William W. L. Glenn Professor of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Director, Yale Center of Thoracic Aortic Disease, Yale University and Yale-New Haven Hospital; Member, IAC Scientific Executive Committee.
The following Members of the Scientific Executive Committee of the International Academy of Cardiology also took part in the Awards Ceremony:
- Naranjan S. Dhalla, Ph.D., M.D.(Hon), Distinguished Professor at the Faculty of Medicine, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Canada
- Laurence Sperling, M.D., Professor of Medicine (Cardiology), Founder and Director of The Heart Disease Prevention Center, Emory University, Atlanta, GA, USA
- Nathan D. Wong, Ph.D., MPH, Professor and Director of the Heart Disease Prevention Program, Division of Cardiology, University of California, Irvine, CA, USA
The Tenth H.J.C. Swan Memorial Lecture at the Opening Ceremony of the International Academy of Cardiology Annual Scientific Sessions 2016, 21st World Congress on Heart Disease, was delivered by Eugene Braunwald, M.D, Distinguished Hersey Professor of Medicine at Harvard Medical School, and founding Chairman of the TIMI Study Group at the Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts, USA, on the topic of “The War on Heart Failure.”
Dr. Kimchi comments, "The International Academy of Cardiology is dedicated to the advancement of global research in cardiovascular medicine through the support of scientific meetings and publications.”
In his opening remarks, Dr. Kimchi commented, “Over the past 27 years, the World Congress on Heart Disease has been an outstanding meeting for aspiring young researchers to present their research and interact with senior investigators in a relaxed and convivial atmosphere.”
Dr. Kimchi added, “The faculty of the Congress has repeatedly attested to the high quality of the research presented in these scientific sessions and the excellent interchange of ideas that transpires at each meeting.”
The World Congress on Heart Disease, the annual scientific session of the International Academy of Cardiology, provides the opportunity for a comprehensive overview of current concepts and future directions in cardiovascular medicine.
“We are delighted by the interest which has been shown in this year’s Congress from clinicians and investigators from 44 countries around the globe. The 446 oral and poster presentations for this congress were carefully selected by the Scientific Abstract Review Committee from over 700 submitted abstracts,” said Dr. Kimchi.
Dr. Asher Kimchi, the Founder and Chairman of the World Congress on Heart Disease, is a former flight surgeon in the Israeli Air Force and is the Founder and Chairman of the International Academy of Cardiology. Dr. Kimchi is the Clinical Chief of the Division of Cardiology and the Co-Medical Director of the Preventive and Consultative Heart Center of Excellence at the Cedars-Sinai Heart Institute in Los Angeles, CA, USA. Dr. Kimchi holds the academic title of Clinical Professor of Medicine at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center and at David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA. He is a Past-President of the American Heart Association, Los Angeles County Division.
Dr. Kimchi has been involved in medical education for many years. During the past 27 years Dr. Kimchi has served as organizer and chairman of 23 large international congresses on Heart Failure and Heart Disease. He is editor of eleven cardiology books and in 2010 he was elected as a Fellow of the International Academy of Cardiovascular Sciences.
For more information on future congresses, please contact:
International Academy of Cardiology:
PO Box 17659
Beverly Hills, CA 90209, USA
tel (310) 657 8777
fax (310) 659 4781