Minneapolis, MN (PRWEB) August 11, 2016
Flipgrid, a powerful video discussion platform that enhances active, social learning in classroom, organization and enterprise settings, today launched version 4.0 of its education offering. The platform upgrade provides educators greater customization capabilities and students the opportunity to engage in deeper dialogue around meaningful topics.
Since its initial launch in 2012 by University of Minnesota professor, Dr. Charlie Miller, Flipgrid has been used by more than 20,000 classrooms and organizations, generating more than 7 million video interactions across 115 countries. Originally developed by Dr. Miller to meet his own students’ needs at the time, Flipgrid’s primary mission is to ignite and amplify the power of student voice.
“With Flipgrid, we are committed to helping educators fuel active learning with video to ensure all students have an equal voice,” said Dr. Miller. “Our goal for the upgraded design is to continue to foster what our users love most about Flipgrid -- its simplicity -- while adding new features to drive discussion and empower students to participate in the active learning process.”
The new version of Flipgrid was designed in collaboration with K-12, university and corporate educators across a diverse community of instructional domains. “We love working with teachers and students from around the world,” said Nate Edwards, VP of Mobile at Flipgrid. “We listen to their creative ideas, discuss their pedagogical goals, and generate new capabilities aligned with their classroom needs. This is what drives our team at Flipgrid.”
The newly added capabilities in Flipgrid 4.0 include:
- Deeper discussion – In earlier versions of Flipgrid, students responded to topics and questions posed by their grid organizer. Students can now respond to each other’s videos and create peer-led discussions within these topics, elevating the relevance and personal commitment to respectful dialogue and learning.
- Customizable grids – The new Flipgrid empowers teachers to customize the look and feel of their grids to align the student experience with the course context. Educators can create a visual design to reflect any learning environment, from a middle school STEM class to a PhD engineering course.
- Engagement insights – Flipgrid 4.0 allows teachers to explore the effectiveness of various topics, and to measure the engagement level of students, as both creators and consumers of others’ contributions. Through simple data visualization, teachers can quickly test, compare and adjust their approaches with students to ensure maximum participation across the class.
- Expanded admin capabilities – Educators now have more powerful grid management options at their disposal. They can develop, manage and share their grids more effectively, and control the privacy and security of content across their topics.
- Higher resolution video – The latest version of Flipgrid has doubled the video quality across all supported platforms (desktop, iOS, Android, tablet) and maintains the speed educators require in their classrooms.
“We strive to provide learners an equal opportunity to voice their thoughts and learn from each other,” said Jim Leslie, CEO and cofounder of Flipgrid. “Accessibility and approachability were driving forces behind the update. Our goal is to provide educators with the best tool possible to engage their students in active, social learning.”
The all-new Flipgrid is now available on desktop, iOS, and Android at http://www.flipgrid.com
About Flipgrid (http://www.flipgrid.com)
Flipgrid is an award-winning video discussion platform for community collaboration through which educators create grids of topics and invite users to share their diverse perspectives. First developed by Dr. Charles Miller for his courses at the University of Minnesota, Flipgrid gives rise to a modern and engaging learning environment by promoting active, social learning. Since its founding in 2012, Flipgrid has fueled community discussions in more than 20,000 classrooms, organizations and conferences across 115 countries. Flipgrid serves educators, businesses and communities to spur active discussion and learning.