San Francisco, Calif. (PRWEB) August 16, 2016
Whether you’re an avid cyclist or you haven’t pedaled in years, bike tours provide travelers with an exhilarating way to get up close and personal to the feel and flow of their destination. The team at Viator, a TripAdvisor company and the leading resource for tours and activities worldwide, has tabulated the 10 most popular cities for exploring by bike according to the riders themselves – Viator travelers. Popular destinations across Europe and the U.S. rank among the most popular for bike tours, and provide inspiration for the hundreds of other destinations worldwide that open their streets, bike-lanes, bridges, mountain tops and volcanoes to this eco-friendly form of exploration. It’s a great way to combine sightseeing with physical fitness, and keep the FitBit firing while you’re on holiday.
1. Paris: The top spot for exploring by bike is Paris, and the city’s number one bike tour is the Versailles by Bike Day tour. Other favorites take in epic landmarks like the Louvre, the Eiffel Tower and the Siene River including the Paris Bike Tour and the Paris Night Bike Tour with other top tours visiting Giverny and Monet’s Garden and Marseille (by electric bike).
2. Rome: The Eternal City ranks as the second most pedaled destination. The Rome City Bike Tour takes in icons like the Colosseum, Campo de' Fiori, and Piazza Navona as well as hidden passageways and ancient walls, while the Ancient Appian Way, Catacombs and Roman Countryside Electric Bike Tour takes travelers off-road onto hilly terrain well outside the city.
3. Barcelona: Ripe with history, culture, art and architecture, explore the #3 destination during the Barcelona Half-day Bike Tour, winding past Placa Sant Jaume, Palau de la Musica Catalana and Arc del Triomf, complete with a mid-ride beach break. Double the fun but not the exertion during the Barcelona Electric Bike Tour with Tapas and Drinks.
4. San Francisco: Explore the City by the Bay by bike and bridge! Cycle across the Golden Gate Bridge to the waterfront town of Sausalito during the San Francisco Golden Gate Bridge Bike Tour or explore more of the city along with Alcatraz with the San Francisco Bike Tour and Alcatraz Admission.
5. New York City: A Manhattan gem ranks tops among travelers choosing bikes – Central Park. NYC Central Park Bike Rental gets independent and self-directed travelers onto the Park’s more than 47 miles of bike-friendly paths, while the Central Park Bike Tour guides travelers with commentary about the history and highlights of the city’s special oasis.
6. Amsterdam: The streets that run alongside Amsterdam’s canals were tailor-made for bike-riding. Explore the city and it’s spender with the Small Group Amsterdam Bike Tour, or get off the beaten path during the Amsterdam Countryside Bike Tour including Cheese Tasting and Clog Demonstration.
7. Berlin: Fitting to its claim as the founding country of the bicycle, this German capital boasts many options for exploring by bike (30-plus), including the Berlin Bike Tour that explores the Berlin Wall Memorial, Checkpoint Charlie, Brandenburg Gate the Spree River, and Tiergarten Park.
8. Washington, DC: Biking in DC is one of the best ways to take in all this compact (and flat) city has to offer and nighttime is the right time for Viator travelers who have booked the Washington DC Sites at Night Bike Tour more than any other in the nation’s capital. Another route is the Washington DC Monuments Bike Tour (morning and afternoon departures).
9. Florence: Pedal among the Piazzas and Palazzos of Florence and visit its iconic sites including the Uffizi Gallery, Piazza della Signoria and the iconic Ponte Vecchio during the Florence Bike Tour, or spice it up with some hills and chianti during a visit to the nearby hilltown of Fiesole on the Florence Electric Bike Tour with Farm and Wine Bar.
10. London: Rounding out the top 10 is another jewel (a crowned one), well-pedaled during the London Royal Parks Bike Tour Including Hyde Park, as well as during the London Bike Tour where the choice of neighborhood – East, West or Central London – is yours.
Many of Viator’s other destinations around the world rank bike tours among the most popular including Portland, Vienna, Bangkok, Prague, Munich, Nice and Lisbon. For more information about Viator’s guided bike tours and bike rentals all over the world, as well as the latest deals, promotions, contests and news, visit http://www.viator.com or follow Viator on Facebook (ViatorTours) and Twitter (ViatorTravel).
Viator, a TripAdvisor company, is the leading global tours and activities provider for travelers, delivering online and mobile access to thousands of trip activities including tours, attractions, shore excursions and private guides, in more than 2,000 destinations worldwide. In-house travel experts work with trusted local operators to ensure the quality and value of every experience, all backed by Viator’s 24/7 customer service and global low-price guarantee. With more than 1 million verified reviews plus exclusive videos and insider travel tips, Viator has everything a traveler needs to find and book the best things to do. In addition to the flagship site – Viator.com – travelers can book in advance or in-destination via the Viator Tours and Activities App, as well as local-language sites for European, Latin American and Asian travelers. Viator also provides tours and activities to more than 3,000 affiliate partners including some of the world’s top airlines, hotels and online travel agencies. Viator is headquartered in San Francisco with regional offices in Sydney, London and Las Vegas. Viator – travel with an insider.