Now in its fifth year, the PQA competition is a way for us to recognize the exceptional work being produced by our PureBond Fabricator Network™ members.
Greensboro, NC (PRWEB) August 25, 2016
Columbia Forest Products announces the winners of the fifth annual PureBond® Quality Awards (PQA) competition. The PQA competition recognizes exceptional design and craftsmanship using PureBond® hardwood plywood materials to create interior spaces and finished goods that are visually distinctive as well as functionally impressive.
Contestants competed for prizes in each of three categories - Residential Kitchen, Residential Other, and Commercial. Eight projects were chosen for PQA recognition this year by a team of expert judges.
Speaking about the significance of the competition, Todd Vogelsinger, Columbia Forest Products’ director of marketing said, “Now in its fifth year, the PQA competition is a way for us to recognize the exceptional work being produced by our PureBond Fabricator Network™ members. We’ve forged strong partnerships with woodshops and craftspeople all across North America who build quality custom installations and furnishings for residential and commercial clients using our formaldehyde-free, healthy-for-you PureBond brand of hardwood plywood.”
2016 PQA Competition Winners
The PureBond Quality Awards competition has become an important way to spotlight the accomplishments of woodworking specialists. The 2016 competition winners included the following shops in the United States and Canada:
Residential Kitchen Category Winners
- First Place: Wm. H. Fry Construction Co., Cupertino, CA
- Second Place: Ruffino Cabinetry, Fort Myers, FL
- Third Place: Rivendell Woodworks, Inc., Concord, CA
Residential Other Category Winners
- First Place: Bright Wood Works, St. Petersburg, FL
- Second Place (shared): Fairfield County Millwork, Bethany, CT
- Second Place (shared): Gervais Wood Decore, Astorville, ON
- Third Place: Mountain Woodworks, Big Pool, MD
Commercial Category Winner
- First Place: Mountain Woodworks, Big Pool, MD
Judging the Competition
The panel of judges assembled for the fifth annual PureBond Quality Awards competition included:
- C. T. ‘Kip’ Howlett, Jr., president of the Hardwood Plywood & Veneer Association (HPVA) representing North American manufacturers of hardwood plywood, veneer and engineered flooring and their value chain including suppliers, distributors and fabricators. Mr. Howlett is also a former executive at Georgia-Pacific.
- Ang Schramm, a 45-year veteran of the building materials industry and a two-term member of the Hardwood Plywood & Veneer Association board of directors, who has also served as both chair and member of the HPVA Technical Committee. Mr. Schramm is also the author of A Complete Guide to Hardwood Plywood and Face Veneer.
- Dr. Katherine Swank, chairperson of the Department of Interior Design & Merchandising in the College of Health & Human Performance at East Carolina University.
- Chip Wade, a woodworking specialist who has lent his noteworthy carpentry and design skills to the Atlanta team of HGTV’s Designed to Sell and appeared on HGTV’s Curb Appeal: The Block, Ellen’s Design Challenge, HGTV’s Showdown, HGTV’s Design Star, Oprah, Ellen, and the TODAY Show.
The criterion for selecting winners in the PQA competition is simply demonstrating the "quality use” of PureBond hardwood plywood in a design and fabrication project.
About PureBond® Technology and the PQA Awards
Columbia's formaldehyde-free PureBond technology was a major breakthrough in the engineered wood panel market. Developed by Columbia Forest Products in conjunction with scientists at Oregon State University, the first PureBond hardwood plywood panels were produced in 2005. Since then, more than 80 million panels have been shipped.
PureBond formaldehyde-free technology continues to be a market differentiator for woodshops that cater to health-conscious and environmentally aware clients. Over 850 fabricators have joined the PureBond Fabricator Network, thereby identifying themselves as leading-edge suppliers who are thoughtful about the materials they use and offer solutions to customers concerned about ensuring good indoor air quality as well as home resale values.
The PureBond Quality Awards competition will be held again in 2017. To join the PureBond Fabricator Network and to become eligible to compete in the next PQA competition, click or tap here.
About Columbia Forest Products
Established in 1957, Columbia Forest Products is America’s largest manufacturer of decorative hardwood plywood and hardwood veneer. An employee-owned company, Columbia operates facilities throughout North America. It is a leader in sustainable forestry, as well as developing innovative and environmentally friendly technologies and products for healthy indoor living.
Columbia has provided fine decorative hardwood plywood veneer panels to North American fabricators for nearly 60 years. The company is committed to offering the industry’s widest product selection, manufactured in efficient, technologically advanced mills, and backed by exceptional service and product support.