Washington, DC (PRWEB) September 07, 2016
UNCF Walks the Walk For Education Across the Nation
More than $2 million was raised last year toward providing quality education
UNCF today announced that it will be championing education with 5K walks in Houston, Chicago, New York, Columbus, Orlando and New Orleans. These celebrations of education will bring together between 300 and 1,500 community supporters in each city during September and October to raise vital funds needed to help students get to and through college.
“More than ever, students need a college education to be competitive and succeed in today’s global economy,” said Michael L. Lomax, Ph.D., president and CEO of UNCF. “By investing in our students now through events like the UNCF Walk for Education, we are providing them with a path to success that will pay future dividends for them, their families and communities, and for all of us.” Last year’s UNCF-sponsored walks raised more than $2 million.
The details about upcoming UNCF Walk For Education events across the United States are:
- Lace up for a purpose at the 2016 Houston Walk for Education on Saturday, Sept. 10, at the Tom Bass Park Section I. For 31 years, the Houston local office of UNCF has created a reunion atmosphere for children and adults to come together to make an impact in the lives of over 60,000 students a year whose education is supported by UNCF. Mayor Sylvester Turner will serve as the honorary chair of this year’s event, which includes an activity playground for children, product sampling, moon bounces and an alumni village/UNCF hospitality tent, sponsored by Andrews Kurth, LLP. More than 1,600 community supporters participate in the annual fundraiser with this year’s goal of raising $300,000 for students to further their education. Registration for the walk begins at 7 a.m. For more information on the 2016 Houston Walk for Education, visit UNCF.org/Houston.
- Chicago UNCF will host its 2016 5K Walk for Education benefiting Illinois students on Saturday, Sept. 10, at Burnham Park, Grove 7, starting at 9 a.m. NBC5 entertainment reporter Lee Ann Trotter will be the host. Close to $100,000 was raised last year in providing students with the necessary resources to get to and through college. This year’s sponsors are NBC5, American Airlines, Aramark, Northern Trust, BMO Harris Bank, Discover, iHeartMedia, Inc., Chicago Housing Authority, ALDI, Chicago Defender and Cook County of Illinois. The community is encouraged to participate to help inspire and empower the next generation of leaders and secure a better future for us all. To register or for more information, visit UNCF.org/Chicago.
- The inaugural UNCF New York Walk/Run for Education will be held on Saturday, Sept. 10, on Roosevelt Island starting at 9 a.m. Whether you walk or run, bring the whole family for a day full of fun including, special guests’ appearances from actor Rotimi of the hit Starz’s series “Power” and hosted by HOT 97’s Lisa Evers and Dr. Bob Lee of WBLS. New York State Sen. Kevin S. Parker will serve as grand marshal of the event benefiting students. To register and learn more about the 5K, visit UNCF.org/NewYork.
- More than 850 participants will lace up for the 2016 annual Walk for Education in Columbus, OH, from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m., Saturday, Sept. 24, at Wolfe Park. Money raised will help support more than 1,200 Columbus area students earning degrees at not only HBCUs but other schools including Ohio State University, Miami University, Kentucky State University and Xavier University. For more information, go to UNCF.org/Columbus.
- Support North/Central Florida students at the Orlando 2016 UNCF Walk for Education on Saturday, Oct. 1, at The Mall at Millenia starting at 7 a.m. With this year’s theme “Building Better Futures: The Value of a UNCF Investment,” the event provides scholarships and additional resources for students to receive a quality education. Help UNCF reach its goal of 1,000 participants by recruiting family members, forming teams or walking the 3.1 miles as an individual. For more information, visit UNCF.org/Orlando.
- Time to gear up for the New Orleans 2016 UNCF Walk for Education. More than 3,000 people will gather at Audubon Park Riverview on Saturday, Oct. 8, to lace up in support of Louisiana students and UNCF’s two member institutions in New Orleans, Dillard University and Xavier University of Louisiana. Proceeds from last year’s fundraising event produced over $80,000 in educational scholarships for Louisiana students. A special pre-registration kickoff party will take place from 5 to 8 p.m. Oct. 5 at the Audubon Tea Room. If you can’t make the kick-off celebration, register at the walk begins at 7:30 a.m. For more information or to register, visit UNCF.org/NewOrleans.
Follow these events across the U.S. by using these social media: @uncf #laceup4UNCF
UNCF (the United Negro College Fund) is the nation’s largest and most effective minority education organization. To serve youth, the community and the nation, UNCF supports students’ education and development through scholarships and other programs, supports and strengthens its 37 member colleges and universities, and advocates for the importance of minority education and college readiness. UNCF institutions and other historically black colleges and universities are highly effective, awarding 21 percent of African American baccalaureate degrees. UNCF administers more than 400 programs, including scholarship, internship and fellowship, mentoring, summer enrichment, and curriculum and faculty development programs. Today, UNCF supports more than 60,000 students at over 1,100 colleges and universities across the country. Its logo features the UNCF torch of leadership in education and its widely recognized motto, ‟A mind is a terrible thing to waste.”® Learn more at UNCF.org or for continuous updates and news, follow UNCF on Twitter at @UNCF.