This event educated nearly 90 HR professionals from over 70 different organizations on how to practically recruit, hire, and retain their veteran employees, as well as discussion on key challenges and best practices to support veterans in the workplace.
San Francisco, California (PRWEB) October 03, 2016
On September 29, 2016 Swords to Plowshares hosted the Veteran Employment Strategy Summit: Hiring and Supporting Veterans in the Workplace at the California Endowment in Oakland, California to deliver our Combat to Community® training for HR professionals, hiring managers, and veteran leaders. This event educated nearly 90 HR professionals from over 70 different organizations on how to practically recruit, hire, and retain their veteran employees, as well as discussion on key challenges and best practices to support veterans in the workplace.
During the summit, attendees learned how to access Swords to Plowshares’ and other federally funded veteran employment and training services, as well as learn from your recruiting and hiring peers at Comcast, Equity Residential,, PG&E, and AMTAC about practical ways to engage in veteran hiring, including how to:
- Leverage federal and private funding to develop veteran-specific employer-driven curriculum, and guarantee a stream of highly qualified recruits
- Organize strategic hiring events to maximize recruitment of pre-screened and qualified veteran candidates.
- Take advantage of GI Bill-supported California apprentice programs
- Learn about military and veteran culture and resources; including commonly shared values, goals, and practices that characterize service in the military and how unique skill sets learned during military service can translate to the civilian workplace
- Engage with an array of Bay Area employers on veteran hiring strategies
Veterans bring a wealth of skills, leadership ability, and loyalty to the workplace. Many companies have expressed the desire to hire veterans but don’t know where to start. At Swords to Plowshares, we have developed a series of accredited cultural competency curricula with the purpose of educating the community to address the challenges veterans face re-integrating and the unique skill sets they require in service.
If you are employer, recruiter, hiring manager, or HR professional that would like more information about our Combat to Community® training, email us at c2c(at)stp-sf(dot)org or call (415) 655-7253.
About Swords to Plowshares:
Founded in 1974, Swords to Plowshares is a community-based not-for-profit organization that provides case management, mental health assessment and referral, rapid re-housing and eviction prevention services, employment and training, supportive housing, and legal benefits assistance for low-income, homeless and at-risk veterans in the San Francisco Bay Area. Swords to Plowshares promotes and protects the rights of veterans through advocacy, public education, and partnerships with local, state and national entities. Learn more about the work of Swords to Plowshares, and ways in which you can help, by visiting our website at http://www.stp-sf.org.