The patient experience and the caregiver experience are inextricably linked.
Dallas, Texas (PRWEB) October 13, 2016
A new white paper by The Beryl Institute explores the value and impact caregivers have on the broader patient experience efforts in healthcare. Published in collaboration with Caregiver Action Network (CAN), The Role of Family Caregivers throughout the Patient Experience, captures the vital voices and the multitude of experiences of today’s caregivers.
Engaging in a dialogue with seven individuals to share their experiences on the front lines of caregiving, the paper focuses on their responses to the following questions:
- What do you consider your greatest challenge as a caregiver?
- What is the most important task or role you fulfill as a caregiver?
- What advice would you give to someone who is new to caregiving?
- What is/was your role when your loved one is in the hospital?
- When you are/were at the hospital with your loved one, do you feel that hospital personnel respect and value you in your role as the caregiver?
- Are there times when you would have had a different opinion from your loved one about the quality of care they were receiving in the hospital?
- What did you fear would happen if you were not there with your loved one during their hospital stay?
With a special introduction from John Schall, CEO, Caregiver Action Network, the paper also offers key recommendations to ensure improved outcomes for patients and caregivers. These recommendations are based on CAN’s ’25 Best Practices’ recognition program that acknowledges caregiving best practices for patients, caregivers, hospital staff and hospital systems.
“Family caregivers are the best advocates for patients. Whether in the doctor’s office or at home, in the hospital or at the pharmacy, family caregivers are there as full partners with their loved ones through it all,” said Schall. “The patient experience and the caregiver experience are inextricably linked.”
To download the white paper, visit http://www.theberylinstitute.org/?page=PUBLICATIONS.
About The Beryl Institute:
The Beryl Institute is the global community of practice dedicated to improving the patient experience through collaboration and shared knowledge. We define patient experience as the sum of all interactions, shaped by an organization’s culture, that influence patient perceptions across the continuum of care.
About Caregiver Action Network:
Caregiver Action Network is the nation’s leading family caregiver organization working to improve the quality of life for the more than 90 million Americans who care for loved ones with chronic conditions, disabilities, disease, or the frailties of old age. CAN serves a broad spectrum of family caregivers ranging from the parents of children with special needs, to the families and friends of wounded soldiers; from a young couple dealing with a diagnosis of MS, to adult children caring for parents with Alzheimer’s disease. CAN (the National Family Caregivers Association) is a non-profit organization providing education, peer support, and resources to family caregivers across the country free of charge.