San Francisco (PRWEB) October 18, 2016
To better understand the current state of omnichannel capabilities in the mobile commerce market, the e-tailing group, an Astound Commerce company, recently released the seventh annual 2016 Mobile Research Survey. Key findings show that as the number of US smartphone users continues to rise, so does the amount of consumers making purchases on their mobile devices. More than a quarter of consumers (26 percent) spend more than 20 hours per week on their mobile device researching products, finding stores and/or purchasing products.
The report reveals that omnichannel capabilities on mobile devices, such as buy online and pickup in store, inventory access across channels and same day delivery are critical considerations for consumers when making purchase decisions. Forward-thinking retailers have made investments in streamlined mobile shopping capabilities, reflecting consumer preferences for flexible product fulfillment and inventory transparency. Key takeaways from the report include:
● Consumers Want Cross-Channel Fulfillment Options: Nearly two-thirds of consumers (64 percent) have completed a buy online pickup in store transaction via mobile in the past three months; over 80 percent pick up products the same day while 44 percent do so within 2 hours.
● Inventory Transparency is Important: Six out of 10 consumers have used their mobile phone to check the availability of a product at a local store at least three times a month.
● The Mobile and In-Store Experience is Merging: 83 percent of retailers offer in-store product locators, and 88 percent provide inventory information like in-stock and number of units for products.
“Consumers want access to product information at all times, and value the convenience of viewing in-store inventory from their mobile device for quick decision-making,” said Lauren Freedman, SVP of Digital Strategy and Chief Merchant of Astound Commerce. “The lines between the online and in-store experience have blurred, so the more retailers invest in using seamlessly integrating commerce channels, the more the customer experience will improve and purchasing will follow suit.”
Retailers have learned that engaging consumers through personalized accounts is a beneficial tool to collecting actionable user information, and access to these accounts across channels has become increasingly important. The report found shoppers place high value on accessible account information across every channel on which they purchase. Based on an analysis of 50 top retailers, the report also found that retailers are focusing on providing high-quality cross-channel capabilities in the following ways:
● Ability to Create a Personal Account: Every retailer analyzed offered the ability to create an account within their mobile commerce platform.
● Access to Personal Account Across Channels: 94 percent of retailers let consumers create lists and save items on mobile that transition to the desktop ecommerce site.
● Merging Digital and Physical Channels: 92 percent of retailers have a shared shopping cart facilitating cross-channel checkout.
“As the consumer shopping experience becomes even more interconnected, enabling shoppers to move across platforms without losing wish lists, credit card information and items in their shopping cart is critical to acquiring and retaining loyal customers,” said Igor Gorin, CEO of Astound Commerce. “Providing consumers access to their personal account simplifies the path to purchase and further engages shoppers, which can ultimately lead to higher revenue for retailers.”
To view the full results of the Mobile Research Survey, click here
About Astound Commerce
Astound Commerce is an award-winning global digital commerce provider combining strategy, technology, insight and a proven methodology to deliver exceptional omnichannel experiences. Through a forward-looking, goal-oriented approach to digital solutions, Astound Commerce helps elevate online and mobile experiences and effectively transform businesses for global brands such as Adidas, L’Oreal, Under Armour, Jimmy Choo and Timbuk2. Based in San Francisco, the passionate team of more than 600 dedicated, diverse industry and technology experts has 15 years of ecommerce experience and more than 1,000 implementations under their belt to address the complex challenges, advancing technologies and indigenous marketing needs facing international markets. To learn more, visit astoundcommerce.com.