By empowering parents with the knowledge, tools and support of the Peekaboo ICU Preemie App, we hope to relieve some of this anxiety and provide powerful knowledge, allowing them to advocate and care for their vulnerable infant during the NICU journey."
Matthews, NC (PRWEB) October 26, 2016
Peekaboo ICU, a leading provider of education and support to parents of premature babies, today announced the launch of its free Peekaboo ICU Preemie App. This is the first free app that can be customized by NICU parents to track their preemie’s individual growth and development. Designed to inform, inspire and engage parents, the app empowers parents from day one, providing education and support during a period of time fraught with unexpected decisions.
A major breakthrough in NICU education, the Peekaboo ICU Preemie App offers the following resources to parents:
- Navigating the NICU – A crash course on the specialized equipment, terminology, and team members who will care for your infant, as well as insights on how parents can best care for a premature baby.
- Preemie Development – Learn about developmental milestones for preemies at various weight and gestational ages.
- Nutritional Needs – Understand the vital role nutrition plays in preemie development and the benefits of a 100% human milk diet for extremely low birth weight babies. Record mom’s pumping sessions and milk production.
- Growth Chart and Trackers – Log and track your baby’s daily weight, length and head circumference, which are then automatically plotted on a personalized infant growth chart.
- Anatomy – Learn about a preemie’s unique bodily and physical needs, and how their anatomy may be affected by an early arrival.
- Milestones – Record special preemie milestones and memories, such as the first diaper change, first bath, and moving from an incubator to a crib.
- Journal – Document the NICU journey with daily thoughts, experiences and accomplishments. Customize with pictures, and share with family and friends via email or social media.
“Parents of a preemie quickly go from happily anticipating the arrival of their baby to feeling overwhelmed, frightened and unprepared for the NICU experience,” says Jodi Dolezel, R.N. and co-founder of Peekaboo ICU. “By empowering parents with the knowledge, tools and support of the Peekaboo ICU Preemie App, we hope to relieve some of this anxiety and provide powerful knowledge, allowing them to advocate and lovingly care for their vulnerable infant during the NICU journey.”
Founded in 2011, Peekaboo ICU started as a personal blog for neonatal nurse Jodi Dolezel who journaled her NICU experiences after losing one of her tiny patients. She made a promise to herself that this baby’s short life would not go unnoticed, but would bring lasting meaning to other premature infants and their families.
The Peekaboo ICU Preemie App will make its debut at the 32nd annual National Association of Neonatal Nurses (NANN) Educational Conference, from Oct. 26 – 29, 2016 in Palm Springs, Calif. The app can be downloaded for free in the Apple App Store or at peekabooicu.com/App. It will be available on Android devices at a future date.
The Peekaboo ICU Preemie App was made possible through the sponsorship of Prolacta Bioscience, the nation’s leading provider of 100 percent human milk-based nutritional products for preemies in the NICU.
About Peekaboo ICU
Making a meaningful and impactful difference in the lives of thousands of the most vulnerable infants through education and empowerment programs, Peekaboo ICU aims to reshape the preemie parent experience from Day 1. Based in North Carolina, Peekaboo ICU has been praised for its unique NICU Journey Bead program, in which parents collect milestone journey beads symbolic of their baby's NICU story.