Son said "I can put my arms all the way around you when I hug you mom!" ~ BettrLife User
Des Moines, Iowa (PRWEB) November 03, 2016
An obese patient with a family history of heart disease engaged a physician and support group to help her lose weight. Motivated by the fear that she might not live long enough to raise her 11 year old son, she agreed to a pilot program at the weight loss clinic utilizing the BettrLife platform.
- Lost 143 lbs in 15 months under medical supervision
- Significantly improved blood pressure
- Reduced cholesterol
- Reduced A1C
- Eliminated 3 medications
- No further need to test blood sugars
- Increased walking distances from 1/4 mile to completing 17 races (5k-10k)
BettrLife is a technology solution that assists healthcare organizations by engaging patients in healthy lifestyle outcomes. The health coaching portal features advanced planning and analytic tools that allow for efficient population health management. BettrLife is built to meet current HIPAA security standards, and the mobile and web application for nutrition, food and activity can easily integrate with existing workflow and Electronic Health Record (EHR) systems.
Patient attempted paper logging and other electronic logging tools prior to using BettrLife. Paper logging was time-consuming and was limited to a list of foods; not their nutrition facts. Electronic logging tools were not user-friendly and contained multiple listings of the same foods. It was difficult to choose the food with necessary accurate nutrition information.
The patient had clear macro/micronutrient goals set by her physician, so she needed a solution that could accurately display and alert her whether or not she was meeting those goals.
How BettrLife Helped:
The patient was able to view her nutrition goals on her mobile app. The application enabled her to have structure with eating. It gave her the ability to plan menu items, populating a digital shopping list within her BettrLife app. She purchased items at the supermarket from her digital list, which were then available to select on her log, so meal logging was easy. As she logged her food throughout the day, the BettrLife app let her know if she was on track to meet her goals using an emoji. A green smiley face indicated she was doing well, whereas a yellow frown indicated what nutritional areas she was off track.
Her physician was able to remotely view what she was logging in “real-time” through the Health Coach Portal. The physician was able to send secure messages through the platform, letting her know where adjustments could be made to her diet. Alerts can be set for coaches to easily notify them about patients when they are off track, helping them to manage large populations.
Knowing her physician was monitoring her log, the patient made better choices. This increased accountability led to a 41% loss of her total body weight. Clear indicators in BettrLife let her know how she was doing during the day, which resulted in smarter food and activity choices.
Because the BettrLife application intuitively learns patient behavior, frequently eaten foods automatically appear as suggestions in log choices. This makes logging very simple as it creates smart and recent lists of foods typically consumed by an individual.
BettrLife also allowed the patient to plan her meals in advance. This flow between planning, shopping and logging modules provided structure for her and were some of the keys to success. It gave her the needed guidance through remote interaction. This feature enabled her to plan a full week menu, which automatically populated food items to a shopping list, therefore simplifying her ability to prepare her daily meals and snacks while following dietary guidelines.
Supporting Visuals or Quotes:
- “BettLife has been such a great tool for me.”
- “BettrLife is the best app because it continues to provide endless possibilities for me.”
- “BettrLife is the best app because it continues to provide endless possibilities for me, the patient, to learn and develop healthier life choices while giving my provider the opportunity to engage and participate in my healthcare.”
- “BettrLife is the best app for me to take charge of my own health while allowing my physician(s) to help guide me.”
Quality of Life:
- BettrLife improved patient’s overall quality of life.
- Family outing to local sporting event. (Patient could fit into seat)
- Patient changed careers to embrace a healthier lifestyle.
- Son said "I can put my arms all the way around you when I hug you mom!"
- Ability to participate in family activities such as going on rides at water parks”.