Dallas, TX (PRWEB) November 15, 2016
With the holidays approaching, local police departments, community groups and other organizations will soon launch campaigns to curb drunk driving and raise awareness of the dangers of driving while intoxicated.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, last year 10,265 people died in drunk driving crashes – one every 51 minutes, and 290,00 people were injured in drunk driving crashes. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates that nearly 1,000 people will be injured or killed each day between Thanksgiving and New Year's Day in drunk driving accidents, a rate two to three times higher than the rest of the year.
The attorneys at Dallas personal injury law firm Guajardo & Marks, LLP advocate on behalf of drunk driving victims, urging people to stay safe during the holidays and discouraging drivers from getting behind the wheel after drinking alcohol.
"We’ve witnessed how drunk driving accidents increase significantly during the holiday season," said Michael Guajardo. “Car crashes that are caused by a drunk driver are entirely avoidable, and we believe in doing everything possible to help stop drunk drivers before they cause catastrophic injury.”
The following strategies can help ensure a safe holiday season:
- Plan Ahead - Designating a sober driver means one person in your group abstains from alcohol
- Know Your Limits - More than one drink an hour will put most people over the limit. Also remember that alcohol continues to affect you long after you've consumed your last drink.
- Have a Backup Plan - Have extra cash and store numbers from local cab companies or download ridesharing apps before a night out, so you have a safe ride home if you or your designated driver have too much to drink.
- Be Mindful of Guests - Having a party in your home may seem like a reason to let your hair down, but in some instances a host can be held responsible for a guest who leaves inebriated. Watch for friends and family who've had too much and help them find a safe way home.
- Stay Aware - Even with the safest plan, there will be many impaired drivers on the roads this season. If you spot someone driving erratically, call the police. You may save their life, or someone else's.
About Guajardo and Marks
Top-rated Dallas attorneys Michael Guajardo and Greg Marks are aggressive advocates for you and your loved ones following a personal injury or wrongful death. The Dallas personal injury lawyers have nearly 50 years combined experience handling a variety of cases with an emphasis on catastrophic injuries and wrongful death. Attorneys Michael Guajardo and Greg Marks are distinguished by their courtroom experience and a history of success in complex personal injury cases.