These entrants demonstrate the vision and leadership of not only the owners, operators, capital providers and development partners but also the residents who choose to live there.
Chicago, Illinois (PRWEB) November 22, 2016
Senior Housing News, an Aging Media Network publication, is pleased to announce the nominees for the fifth annual Senior Housing News (SHN) Architecture & Design Awards (http://www.shnawards.com).
More than 80 communities nationwide submitted their new construction and renovation projects for consideration in this year's contest, sponsored exclusively by senior living furniture provider Kwalu. They’re vying for top honors across nine categories this year: Affordable, Assisted Living, Continuing Care Retirement Community (CCRC), Independent Living, International, Renovation / Repositioning, Skilled Nursing / Post-Acute Care, Stand Alone Memory Care, and Student Exhibition. This year’s competition marks the inauguration of the International and Student Exhibition categories.
"The SHN Architecture & Design Awards showcases the latest trends in the newly constructed and renovated communities in the U.S. and abroad. These entrants demonstrate the vision and leadership of not only the owners, operators, capital providers and development partners but also the residents who choose to live there," said George Yedinak, founder of Senior Housing News.
Projects will be judged by a panel of industry experts who will evaluate nominees based on design and aesthetic criteria. Not only will judges analyze design elements such as color, light and landscape architecture, but they will also consider community functionality by analyzing key features that are critical to property type, such as universal design techniques. Winners will be announced December 15, 2016.
This year's judges bring a wealth of experience in senior housing design, architecture and consulting. The panel includes returning judges:
- Jeff Anderzhon, FAIA, Senior Planning/Design Architect at Eppstein Uhen Architects
- Elisabeth Borden, Principal at The Highland Group
- Dan Cinelli, FAIA, Managing Principal at Perkins Eastman
- David Dillard, FAIA, Principal at D2 Architecture
- John Cronin Principal, AIA at AG Architecture
This year SHN welcomes four new judges to our distinguished judging panel for the 2016 Design & Architecture Awards. SHN welcomes:
- Dean Maddalena, President of StudioSIX5
- Jihyun Song, IDEC, LEED AP, Associate Professor and Interior Design Director of Undergraduate Education at Iowa State University
- Ward Isaacson, President of Pope Architects
- Manny Gonzalez, FAIA, LEED AP, Principal at KTGY Architecture + Planning
"The SHN Architecture & Design Awards attracts some of the most innovative community developments and repositionings each year and we are proud to work with SHN to showcase the stories and images of these communities," said Kwalu CEO Michael Zusman. "The participants compete and share their insight and perspective on the needs and desires of today’s communities in a forum judged by the industry’s leading design and architecture professionals. It is exciting to watch and see the ongoing innovation selected by this group."
A leading furniture provider to the U.S. senior living industry, Kwalu designs its products with a keen focus on sustainability for the future, while also keeping in mind changes in consumer preferences—strategic goals that aligned with the company's desire to exclusively sponsor this year's Awards competition.
"Our choice to sponsor stems from how aligned these goals are with our own company values that focus on ingenuity and integrity to enhance the dignity and wellbeing of seniors. We wish the best of luck to all the entrants in this year's competition," Zusman said.
Introducing the 2016 nominees:
- CityScape at Belmar (Lakewood, Colorado)
- Maple Park Phase II (Live Oak, California)
- Monteverde (Orinda, California)
- Aegis of Queen Anne at Rodgers Park (Seattle, Washington)
- Aegis of Queen Anne on Galer (Seattle, Washington)
- Camellia Place (Canton, Georgia)
- Chaska Heights Senior Living (Chaska, Minnesota)
- Elan Southpark Meadows (Austin, Texas)
- Evergreen Senior Living Orland Park (Orland Park, Illinois)
- Heartis San Antonio (San Antonio, Texas)
- Legacy Place (Allentown, Pennsylvania)
- Maplewood at Brewster (Brewster, Massachusetts)
- Maplewood at Twinsburg (Twinsburg, Ohio)
- Merrill Gardens at Ballard (Seattle, Washington)
- Oakmont of Concord (Concord, California)
- Ralston Creek Senior Living (Arvada, Colorado)
- Red Rock Senior Living of Woodbury (Woodbury, Minnesota)
- Renaissance Luxury Senior Apartments (Sun Lakes, Arizona)
- Rosemark at Mayfair Park (Denver, Colorado)
- St. Paul’s Plaza (Chula Vista, California)
- The Fountains of Hope (Sarasota, Florida)
- The Sheridan at Lakewood Ranch (Lakewood Ranch, Florida)
- Tuscan Gardens of Venetia Bay (Venice, Florida)
Continuing Care Retirement Community
- Bridgepointe at Village Manor (Bowling Green, Kentucky)
- Carolina Bay (Wilmington, North Carolina)
- Cedarbrook at Bloomfield Hills (Bloomfield Hills, Michigan)
- Menger Springs (Boerne, Texas)
- Ohio Living Westminster Thurber (Columbus, Ohio)
- Rose Villa (Portland, Oregon)
- St. Anthony’s Gardens (Covington, Los Angeles)
- The Ackerly at Timberland (Portland, Oregon)
- The Arlington of Naples (Naples, Florida)
- The Georgian Lakeside (Rosewell, Georgia)
- The Grand (Dublin, Ohio)
- The Grand Lodge at Hillcrest Country Estates (Papillion, Nebraska)
- The Residence at Salem Woods (Salem, New Hampshire)
- The Terraces of Boise (Boise, Idaho)
- Trillium Woods Phase One (Plymouth, Minnesota)
- American House Coconut Point (Estero, Florida)
- Avery45 (Needham, Massachusetts)
- Oaknoll Retirement Residence (Iowa City, Iowa)
- Overture Plano (Plano, Texas)
- Regency at Summerlin (Las Vegas, Nevada)
- Terraces at Rose Lane (Larkspur, California)
- Thames Edge at Fairview (Groton, Connecticut)
- The Summit at Saratoga (Saratoga Springs, New York)
Renovation / Repositioning
- Atria Walnut Creek (Walnut Creek, California)
- Canterbury Park (Longview, Washington)
- Columbus Health and Rehab (Columbus, Wisconsin)
- Copper Lake Estates (Edmond, Oklahoma)
- Cornerstone MRC (Texarkana, Texas)
- Elim Park (Cheshire, Connecticut)
- Friendship Village at Sunset Hills (St. Louis, Missouri)
- Gerald T. Langan Apartments (Scranton, Pennsylvania)
- Heron Point of Chestertown (Chestertown, Maryland)
- Kendal on Hudson (Sleepy Hollow, New York)
- Madison House Independent & Assisted Living Community (Kirkland, Washington)
- Mather Place (Wilmette, Illinois)
- OnPointe Transitional Care at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Dallas (Dallas, Texas)
- River Highlands of Birmingham (Hoover, Alabama)
- Rockwood South Hill: The Summit and Ridge Towers (Spokane, Washington)
- Sunset Manor (Toledo, Ohio)
- The Clare (Chicago, Illinois)
- The Grand at Twin Lakes (Palatine, Illinois)
- Travanse Living at Olathe (Olathe, Kansas)
- Valley View Village Health Center (Des Moines, Iowa)
- Vibrant Life Communities—Lodge of Durand Memory Care (Durand, Michigan)
- Wichita Presbyterian Manor (Wichita, Kansas)
- Willow Valley Communities (Lancaster, Pennsylvania)
- Woodcrest Villa—Viva Centre (Lancaster, Pennsylvania)
Skilled Nursing / Post-Acute Care
- Atrium Post Acute Care of Woodbury (Woodbury, New Jersey)
- The Healthcare Resort of Shawnee Mission (Overland Park, Kansas)
Stand Alone Memory Care
- Amber Creek Inn Memory Care Community (Scottsdale, AZ)
- American House Senior LIving Communities (Roseville, Michigan)
- Market Street Memory Care Residence of Viera (Melbourne, Florida)
- Saddle Brook Memory Care Community (Frisco, Texas)
- The Dogwood Memory Care Neighborhood (Bloomfield, Connecticut)
- The Ganzhorn Suites (Powell, Ohio)
- Villagio Senior Living at Broomfield, CO (Broomfield, Colorado)
- Alyssa Queen - Florida State University
- Caitlin La Tour - Florida State University
- Caroline Fields - Florida State University
- Matt Kenney - The University of Kansas
- Sarah Smith - Florida State University
- Sheridan Markham - Florida State University
- Victoria Vigarino - Florida State University
- William Johnson - The University of Kansas
For more information about the awards and this year's nominees, visit http://www.shnawards.com.
About Aging Media Network / Senior Housing News
Aging Media Network is an innovative publishing company based in Chicago, Illinois and is the publisher of Senior Housing News, Reverse Mortgage Daily and Home Health Care News.
Senior Housing News (SHN) is the leading independent source for news and information covering senior housing and senior living.
With a global reach of more than 30,000 industry professionals, SHN's audience includes senior housing operators, developers, banking institutions, real estate investment trusts, private equity and service providers catering to the industry. Visit http://www.seniorhousingnews.com for more information.
Kwalu is the leading provider of furniture to senior living in the U.S. Its products are Designed to Last® and will continue to look like new, year after year – which is so important right now, given the trend of residents' rising acuity levels and the resultant ongoing beating the furniture takes from walkers and wheelchairs and the like.
When attracting new residents and maintaining high satisfaction levels for existing residents is important, Kwalu's senior living furniture can make the difference.
About the SHN Architecture & Design Awards
The Senior Housing News Architecture & Design Awards recognize cutting-edge design, excellence and innovation in senior living. The annual awards contest celebrates unique projects and companies that are improving the lives of seniors through innovative design. Visit http://www.shnawards.com for more information about this year's contest, as well as past winners.