Keep it simple and stress-free by starting cards at least two weeks beforehand. Leave your supplies set out and aim to make a few every day.
Rockland, Maine (PRWEB) January 19, 2017
Valentine’s Day is generally the first gift-giving holiday after Christmas and Hanukkah when children are encouraged to exchange Valentine’s cards with their classmates and parents often like to give gifts to children.
What should be a fun occasion to share sentiments with friends and family can become stressful when parents find themselves working feverishly into the night on February 13 to finish their kids’ Valentine’s cards to bring to school the next day.
Sarah Baldwin, M.S.Ed, an early childhood teacher, author, and owner of Bella Luna Toys offers her top five tips to enjoying a fun Valentine’s Day with loved ones.
1. Homemade cards are so much more special to give and receive than store-bought ones. Making Valentine cards can be a wonderful bonding experience for children and parents to enjoy together.
2. Keep it simple and stress-free by starting at least two weeks beforehand. Leave your supplies set out and aim to make a few every day. It can be overwhelming for small children to write the name of their classmate and a message and decorate a card in a few short days. Trying to make 12-20 cards all at once can take the fun out of it.
3. Keep the Valentine’s card and message simple. Tell the child it’s the act of exchanging the message that is important, not the gift itself.
4. Bake heart-shaped cookies with your child and pass these out instead of (or in addition to) Valentine cards.
5. Host a special Valentine’s tea party. Invite a child’s friends or family members. Include grandparents if they live nearby!
Sarah also offers some eco-friendly suggestions for unique Valentine’s Day crafts and gifts for children:
Love Heart Wooden Blocks - $19.95
Hot Water Bottle with Organic Cotton Cover - $39.95
Red Beeswax Heart Candle - $16.95
Organic Heart Squeaker Toy - $12.95
Origami from the Heart Kit – $16.95
Olive Wooden Heart - $9.95
Paper Chains – Valentine - $9.95
Wool Felt Sheets - $2.95
Hedgehog Valentine Cards Kit - $19.95
Children’s Ceramic Tea Party Set – $34.95
Valentine Papel Picado, Mexican Paper Flags - $10.95
Embroidered Silk Heart Ornament - $9.95
Beeswax Candle Making Kit - $19.95
Bee-Love Beeswax Candle - $13.95