Throughout the peninsula, 2,500 acres of cherry orchards bloom to picturesque flowers.
Door County, WI (PRWEB) April 27, 2017
In May, Door County, WI rolls out the red carpet for the arrival of cherry blossoms. Throughout the peninsula, 2,500 acres of cherry orchards bloom to picturesque flowers. Breathe in the enchanting aroma of blossoms and participate in the many special events and outdoor activities celebrating spring in Door County.
May Special Events
- Reawaken the mind and body with a spring renewal in Door County. Door County’s Season of Blossoms lodging promotion is April 8-June 4, 2017. Visitors can choose from over 25 lodging establishments offering 2-night stays that include a meal, spring activity, and a $25 Door County gift certificate upon check-in.
- Go behind the scenes at Bay Shipbuilding and CenterPointe Yacht Services for the annual Shipyard Tours, May 6.
- Dust off the running shoes and run through scenic Peninsula State Park at the Door County Half Marathon and Nicolet Bay 5k, May 6, 2017.
- Cast a line and catch prize winning fish during the Sturgeon Bay Open Bass Tournament, May 18-21. In 2014, Sturgeon Bay was named the No. 1 best bass fishing waters in the United States by Bassmaster.
- Explore Baileys Harbor’s maritime history at the Blessing of the Fleet Festival, May 20-21.
- Celebrate the 45th annual Maifest festival in Jacksonport May 27-28, 2017. Live music, food, a parade, and a 10k and 2-miile run are some of the great attractions at this event.
State and County Park Activities
Door County offers 5 state parks and 19 county parks across the 70-mile-long peninsula. Each park offers a variety of recreational opportunities and scenic beauty.
- Try a Segway while touring Peninsula State Park with Segway the Door.
- Pack a backpack and hike to a campsite in Newport State Park for a spring camping adventure.
- Watch the sunrise over Lake Michigan at Cave Point County Park.
- Enjoy a spring afternoon biking through Potawatomi State Park.
- Ride the Karfi ferry to Rock Island State Park, opening Memorial Day weekend.
On Going Spring Activities
- Hunt for blossoms with the Guide to Spring in Door County.
- Explore the waters around Door County on a guided kayak tour with Door County Kayak Tours.
- Take a thrilling zip lining adventure with Lakeshore Adventures.
- Smell enchanting cherry blossoms across the peninsula. Watch the Door County Cherry Report for updated blossom information.
- Hop aboard the Door County Trolley for a Spring Blossom Tour. View beautiful blossoms, take a scenic carriage ride, sample wine from two award winning wineries, and enjoy lunch at a local restaurant.
- Cast a line and catch walleye, northern pike, and smallmouth bass with one of the many fishing charters in Door County.
- Drive around southern Door County and explore traditional Belgian roadside chapels.
- Practice the winning golf swing at one of eleven golf courses in the county.
Stay Connected at DoorCounty.com
About Door County
Door County is a bucolic peninsula that juts out into Lake Michigan in Wisconsin’s northeast corner. Named one of the Top 10 Vacation Destinations in North America by Money magazine, Door County features 300 miles of shoreline, 11 lighthouses, 5 state parks and 19 county parks. It is known for its natural beauty, artistic offerings and year-round outdoor recreation opportunities.