“Because we can accomplish what we need to using the latest technology, we’re able to give our patients the quickest healing, the safest options, the greatest comfort and most importantly… the ability to return to visual freedom," said Dr. Doane.
KANSAS CITY, Kan. –
(PRWEB) May 18, 2017 -- KC eye doctor, Dr. John Doane, M.D., helped develop a revolutionary advancement in eye surgery, and today has performed more of these procedures than any other U.S. doctor. Called SMILE, the new procedure is now being performed for the first time on non-FDA trial patients at both Discover Vision Centers in Leawood, Kan. and Independence, Mo.
Dr. Doane began the development of SMILE five years ago with four other doctors treating as many as 350 patients at five prestigious eye centers throughout the United States, including Discover Vision Centers with nine locations in Greater Kansas City. The FDA approved the procedure in the United States this past fall 2016, and now Dr. Doane performs the surgery at Discover Vision in Greater Kansas City and is teaching other doctors, domestically and internationally, how to perform SMILE vision correction – a completely new way to correct vision using surgery.
The approval of the SMILE procedure represents the first significant FDA approval for a new refractive procedure in more than 20 years.
“We’re excited to be part of this significant milestone,” said Dr. Doane. “Because we can accomplish what we need to using the latest technology, we’re able to give our patients the quickest healing, the safest options, the greatest comfort and most importantly… the ability to return to visual freedom.”
Details about how SMILE works:
- SMILE is the first FDA approved laser vision correction procedure to correct nearsightedness as an alternative to LASIK.
- It is a minimally-invasive approach that uses a laser to correct vision with removal of a tiny piece of tissue from within the cornea.
- The procedure is approved to a broad range of corrections which were previously only treatable with glasses, contact lenses or other refractive surgical procedures.
- SMILE stands for: SMall Incision Lenticule Extraction
- This new procedure combines the benefits of PRK and LASIK.
- Unlike LASIK, there is no flap in the SMILE procedure and therefore there are no flap-related issues. SMILE enables more natural preservation of corneal anatomy and less incidence of dry eye.
About Discover Vision:
Discover Vision Centers has been serving the Kansas City community for nearly 45 years. Dr. John Doane has been performing laser vision correction since 1995. He has been ranked among the top 5 percent of Laser vision surgeons in the country. The Discover Vision Refractive Team has performed more than 45,000 vision correction procedures and has been instrumental in pioneering the latest solutions in vision correction and advanced microsurgery. For more information on SMILE vision correction, visit http://www.discovervision.com or call 816.283.EYES.