Washington, D.C. (PRWEB) May 18, 2017
The 8th Annual Lex Mundi Pro Bono Foundation Awards were presented during the 2017 Lex Mundi Leadership Summit and Annual Conference in Prague. These awards honor Lex Mundi member law firms that have provided critical pro bono legal services - helping to strengthen the global rule of law, support the global social entrepreneurship movement and improve the lives of the world's poor and disenfranchised.
The Lex Mundi Pro Bono Foundation (the "Foundation") was proud to honor the following award recipients:
- Advokatfirmaet Thommessen AS, Lex Mundi member firm for Norway
- Demarest Advogados, Lex Mundi member firm for Brazil
- Jenner & Block LLP, Lex Mundi member firm for USA, Illinois
- Rajah & Tann Singapore LLP, Lex Mundi member firm for Singapore
“The honorees demonstrate how members of the Lex Mundi Network are using their pro bono resources of time and expertise to have a tremendous impact on many of the world’s leading social entrepreneurs. The recipients also represent how our member firms, as leading law firms in their jurisdictions, have a larger commitment to growing and strengthening the global pro bono culture,” said the Foundation's Managing Director, Chloe Holderness.
Examples of the diverse group of social entrepreneurs supported by this year’s honorees, as well as other firms within Lex Mundi’s global network, include:
- Convergence, launched in January 2016, is the first and only platform that helps public and private investors find and connect with each other to co-invest in blended finance deals in emerging and frontier markets.
- Acumen is a non-profit that raises charitable donations to invest in companies, leaders, and ideas that are changing the way the world tackles poverty.
- First Book provides new books, learning materials, and other essentials to children in need.
- Mercy Corps alleviates suffering, poverty and oppression by helping people build secure, productive and just communities.
- African Leadership Academy seeks to transform Africa and address its greatest challenges by developing the next generation of leaders.
Through the Foundation, Lex Mundi member firms have provided critical pro bono support to more than 500 social entrepreneurs on 1,200+ projects over the last 10 years. This support has enabled social entrepreneurs to grow, scale, deepen their impact and improve communities and lives around the world.
About the Lex Mundi Pro Bono Foundation
The Lex Mundi Pro Bono Foundation is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit affiliate of Lex Mundi, the world’s leading network of independent law firms. The Foundation’s mission is to engage Lex Mundi’s global network of leading independent law firms to support and empower those working to bring about high impact and sustainable social change that improves communities and lives. Lex Mundi lawyers provide critical pro bono legal services to the world’s leading social entrepreneurs.
About Lex Mundi
Lex Mundi is the world’s leading network of independent law firms with in-depth experience in 100+ countries. Lex Mundi member firms offer clients preferred access to more than 21,000 lawyers worldwide – a global resource of unmatched breadth and depth. Each member firm is selected on the basis of its leadership in – and continued commitment to – its local market. The Lex Mundi principle is one independent firm for each jurisdiction. Firms must maintain their level of excellence to retain membership within Lex Mundi.
Through close collaboration, information-sharing, training and inter-firm initiatives, the Lex Mundi network is an assurance of connected, on-the ground expertise in every market in which a client needs to operate. Working together, Lex Mundi members are able to seamlessly handle their clients’ most challenging cross-border transactions and disputes.
Member law firms are located throughout Europe, the Middle East, Africa, Asia and the Pacific, Latin America and the Caribbean and North America. Through Lex Mundi’s nonprofit affiliate, the Lex Mundi Pro Bono Foundation, members also provide pro bono legal assistance to social entrepreneurs around the globe.