Villa Veritas Foundation's "Walk the Walk for Recovery" Faces the Addiction Crisis by Celebrating Its Solution
Kerhonkson, NY (PRWEB) September 05, 2017
The Villa Veritas Foundation’s Walk the Walk for Recovery, to be held Sunday, September 17, 2017 at the Walkway Over The Hudson in Poughkeepsie, NY, is a uniquely positive fundraiser focused on solutions. Now in its sixth year, the event promotes understanding of drug and alcohol addiction, but its primary mission is to deliver a simple, powerful message against the constant barrage of bad news about substance abuse: treatment works...and people can and do recover. The fundraising goal of the Walk the Walk for Recovery is to help make recovery possible for those with financial barriers to treatment. The day’s special guest will be State Senator Sue Serino of New York District 41. Villa Veritas Foundation invites anyone whose life has been touched by addiction, recovery, or treatment to participate in this event. More information and registration forms can be found at villaveritas.org/walk or by calling (845) 626-3555 x138.
ABOUT THE ADDICTION CRISIS
- Drug and alcohol addiction is a national public health crisis that can affect any person at any time.
- Addiction to heroin and other opioids, such as prescription painkillers, has become a full-blown epidemic. Here in New York State, heroin is now the leading cause of accidental death, contributing to a record high of 825 fatal overdoses in 2014, according to data from the CDC’s National Center for Health Statistics. That’s nearly twenty-five times the number recorded in New York ten years earlier.
- The number of overdose deaths in New York in which prescription opioids were a contributing cause also reached a new peak of 1,008 in 2014, nearly four times the number recorded in 2005.
- Millions of individuals struggle every day with drug and alcohol abuse, which causes a ripple effect of physical and mental health problems, criminal activity, automobile crashes, and lost productivity in the workplace.
- Families, friends, and communities also suffer. In other words, whether or not you or someone close to you has a substance abuse disorder, addiction impacts your life in some way.
CELEBRATING THE SOLUTION
Here’s the good news: treatment is effective. Celebrating success with an event like Walk the Walk for Recovery offers proof that there is hope. Sue Cusack, President and CEO of Villa Veritas, sees that hope, and the success it can lead to, first-hand every day. “Hundreds of people who were former clients come to the Walk,” says Sue. “Family members of clients come, and people come to march in memory of someone. I love seeing former clients come back with their babies! Meeting and greeting all these members of our community is a very moving experience.”
The fundraising goal of the Walk the Walk for Recovery is a vital part of the Villa Veritas mission. Cusack names financial barriers as the number one reason why people do not seek a treatment program. Other barriers to treatment include denial on the part of the addict and his or her family, the stigma and shame associated with addiction, and for women, the inability to be away from their families or fear of losing custody of their children.
The Walk The Walk for Recovery takes place on Sunday, September 17, 2017 at the Walkway Over The Hudson State Historic Park’s East (Poughkeepsie) entrance, located at 61 Parker Avenue, Poughkeepsie, NY 12601.
The event schedule is as follows:
12:00pm: Introduction by New York State Senator Sue Serino, representing NY State District 41
12:30pm: Start of Walk
Participation in the event is free.
- $25 donation per person includes a tote bag and bracelet
- $50 donation per person includes a tote bag, bracelet and t-shirt
- $100 donation includes name on tote bag, in addition to t-shirt & bracelet
For registration and donations can be processed several different ways:
- Online at villaveritas.org/walk
- By Phone (845) 626-3555 x138
- By Check Payable to Villa Veritas Foundation, PO Box 610, Kerhonkson, NY 12446
ABOUT VILLA VERITAS
The Villa Veritas Foundation, Inc., an inpatient healing and rehabilitation center located in Kerhonkson, NY, has been connecting people with treatment and recovery for over 40 years. Founded by the late Jim Cusack and his wife, Sue, Villa Veritas has remained steadfast in its mission to provide a safe haven for alcoholics, addicts, and their families to find health and hope using the time-tested 12 Step Program as its framework. The center distinguishes itself with a holistic-based approach in combination with the 12 Steps.
“The 12 Step Program works because it’s an excellent blueprint for life,” says Sue Cusack. “We focus on healing the trauma that led to addiction and help people feel useful in this world. Each day we get out there and give people hope. That was my late husband’s best gift—the gift of hope, and we continue his legacy. We feel blessed to be able to do what we love with the ones we love.”
Villa Veritas Foundation is a 501c(3) non-profit organization. Contributions are tax deductible to the extent provided by law. Villa Veritas can be contacted by phone at (845) 626-3555 or email at info(at)villaveritas.org.
# # #