Keep all recovery-related receipts, including those for meals and lodging.
Washington, D.C. (PRWEB) August 25, 2017
As residents of the southeast prepare for Hurricane Harvey to make landfall, teams of insurance claim handlers are standing by to begin the recovery process. The American Insurance Association (AIA) offers these tips for homeowners who might be affected by the hurricane:
1. Contact your insurer immediately after the storm to report all losses and damages.
2. Keep all recovery-related receipts, including those for meals and lodging – these may be covered under the “additional living expenses” portion of your insurance policy.
3. Prepare a list of damaged property. If possible, photograph or video the damaged items.
4. Return claim forms to your insurer as soon as possible.
5. Stay in regular contact with your insurer to get the best and fastest results.
6. Ask questions if you are unclear about your policy.
7. Build stronger for the future. Ask your contractor about adding features to increase your home’s disaster resistance.