White Plains, New York (PRWEB) September 14, 2017
Westchester County’s travel and tourism industry continues to grow with visitor spending reaching a record $1.82 billion in 2016, a 31% increase since 2009.
“Once again, these numbers show that tourism continues to be an economic driver for Westchester County,” said Westchester County Executive Robert P. Astorino. “Year after year, more visitors come here for business and pleasure. More visitors mean more jobs for our residents. It’s great news for our county and it’s only getting better.”
In 2016, visitor spending supported more than 24,000 jobs in Westchester and generated $221.8 million in tax revenues for state and local municipalities. This represents $291 in tax revenue for every household in the county. Westchester’s tourism industry, which ranks third in the state behind New York City and Long Island, represents 52% of all visitor spending in the Hudson Valley region. In total, the travel and tourism industry has contributed $13.3 billion to Westchester’s economy since the end of the Great Recession in 2009.
Natasha Caputo, Director of Westchester County Tourism & Film, said the county’s success as a tourism destination is the result of great industry partners who offer exceptional dining experiences, accommodations, recreation and cultural and entertainment attractions for every age and budget.
Spending in the Food & Beverage sector increased 5% to $526,885,000, a testament to the exceptional quality of dining throughout the county. Some notable newcomers include:
- 3 Westerly Bar and Grill - 3 Westerly Bar and Grill is the new waterfront dining experience conveniently located adjacent to the Ossining Metro-North Station and the NY Waterway Terminal. A nautical-themed gastropub housed within a distinctive free-standing lighthouse offers a variety of indoor and outdoor dining options.
- Mediterraneo – In the heart of downtown White Plains, this is a seafood lovers delight featuring an expansive, international wine list.
- City Perch – Chef Sherry Yard, Tuck Hospitality Group Chief Operating Officer and three-time James Beard Award winner recently inducted into the Foundation’s prestigious Who’s Who of Food & Beverage in America, officially brings her critically acclaimed City Perch Kitchen + Bar. Located in Rivertowns Square in Dobbs Ferry, City Perch offers a variety of innovative Westchester localized dishes and a warm, inviting dining room with spacious environments befitting experiences including private dining and events.
- Savor Westchester at The Westchester - A beautifully designed space and unique dining experience at The Westchester mall in White Plains with fantastic eateries, including al fresco patio dining.
The Recreation sector also posted gains in visitor spending last year, rising 4% to $171,905,000. This sector benefited from lively arts and culture venues, visual and performing arts events and attractions taking place year-round throughout the County. Some noteworthy recreation venues and happenings include:
- Spins Hudson – This brand new 40,000-square-foot entertainment center, overlooking Peekskill’s scenic Charles Point Marina, is home to a the only four-level aerial ropes course, two-story professional laser tag arena with sizeable top industry arcade and full size bocce and shuffleboard courts. In addition, it features a first satellite location of Captain Lawrence Brewery and Factoria, a beautiful 14,000 square- foot event space.
- Armonk Outdoor Art Show – Now in its 56th year, the Armonk Art Show is ranked among the top fine art and fine craft shows in the nation by Sunshine Artist Magazine. This outstanding art and fine crafts juried show, which takes place September 23 and 24.
- Hudson River Museum – The Hudson River Museum in Yonkers opens Walks with Artists: The Hudson Valley and Beyond on October 7. A new exhibit that examines the key role played by artists in bringing views of nature indoors—in a domestic or gallery setting—while inspiring our own outdoor itineraries. It is organized around the elements used to compose landscape paintings, from trees to sky. Featured artists include Thomas Cole, George Innes, Fanny Palmer, George Gardner Symons, Ralph Fasanella, Richard Haas, Alison Moritsugu, Ellen Kozak, and Jack Stuppin.
- Caramoor - Caramoor Center for Music and the Arts is a hidden gem in Westchester nestled amidst 90 acres of picturesque Italianate architecture and gardens, just one hour’s drive from Manhattan. Located in Katonah NY, From October to May, concerts are held indoors in the Rosen House Music Room. To launch the fall/spring season, the celebrated Takács Quartet - a force in classical music since 1975 and winner of a Grammy for Best Chamber Music Performance - makes its Caramoor debut on October 15th with a program of Haydn, Shostakovich and Brahms.
- Lyndhurst – Named as one of America’s most beautiful mansion by Forbes magazine Lyndhurst in Tarrytown is host to a Westchester signature event, Crafts at Lyndhurst from September 15 – 17. The weekend showcases over 275 modern American makers, artists, designers and craftspeople from across the country selling their exciting contemporary creations and is a celebration of all things handmade. A full day art and shopping experience for the entire family including interactive kids activities, delicious gourmet foods and concessions, hands-on demonstrations and more.
Spending in the Lodging sector totaled $416,281,000, up 1% from 2015. Hotel activity in the County flattened in 2016, with room demand as measured by hotel room nights filled was down 1% to 1.7 million. The Transportation and Retail sectors showed little or no growth in 2016.
About Westchester County Tourism & Film
Tourism & Film is Westchester County’s official destination marketing organization. Its mission is to generate economic benefits by enhancing the image and promoting Westchester County as a premier business and leisure destination in the Hudson Valley region. The Tourism & Film Office in Westchester County is a division within County Executive Robert P. Astorino’s Office of Economic Development.
For the latest events and happenings in Westchester, log onto http://www.visitwestchesterny.com, like us on Facebook (facebook.com/westchestercountytourism), follow us on Twitter @westchestertour or call 1-800-833-9282. View our new insta-travel guide by visiting: https://www.instagram.com/visitwestchesterny/
To view the Westchester County Destination Guide, please visit http://bit.ly/2cCFErf