As CPG brand advertisers expand their investment in mobile, they need to know if campaigns are driving a return to justify increased spend, and this report can help them immediately.
(PRWEB) September 19, 2017
4INFO, an identity and engagement solutions company, today released its 2017 4INFO CPG Sales Lift Benchmarks to help brand advertisers evaluate and compare the Return on Ad Spend (ROAS) of their mobile ad campaigns. 4INFO’s third annual benchmarks report — based on 248 studies across 138 brands conducted by Nielsen Catalina Solutions (NCS) — reveals a continued upward trajectory for mobile ad campaign effectiveness with the average ROAS increasing 30 percent over 2015, and nearly 50 percent over 2013.
“Advertisers are increasingly aware it’s possible to link digital impressions to in-store sales transaction data. What’s more, they’re demanding it,” said Tim Jenkins, CEO of 4INFO. “And in a world filled with bots, ad blockers, tightening media budgets and increasing scrutiny of digital ad effectiveness – closed-loop measurement offers advertisers a level of transparency, insight and assurance that their media dollars are making an impact.”
Mobile accounts for 71 percent of total digital minutes1 in the U.S. alone. With shoppers consuming more digital content via mobile devices, advertisers are shifting digital ad budgets with mobile ad spending expected to nearly triple desktop display by 2017.2
“This is the most comprehensive benchmarks report we’ve completed to date – examining the strategic importance of ROAS data, as well as providing advertisers new insights into very practical campaign areas,” Jenkins added. “As CPG brand advertisers expand their investment in mobile, they need to know if campaigns are driving a return to justify increased spend, and this report can help them immediately.”
Key Findings of the 2017 Report:
- Average 2016 ROAS on advertised items is $2.82, representing a 30 percent increase over the 2015 average.
- The ROAS average for advertised items, including the halo effect to the parent brand, over the last four years is now $2.68, representing a 5 percent increase over the 2016 benchmarks.
- 9 out of 10 mobile ad campaigns measured in 2016 displayed a positive ROAS.
- Top-performing campaigns produced an average ROAS of $5.32, twice the average ROAS.
- Campaigns brought in a cumulative average of $715,800 in incremental sales per campaign; highest performing campaigns generated $3 million or more in incremental sales for the advertised item.
- Since 2013, campaigns generated an estimated $330 million in total incremental sales for CPG brands.
- Brands operating in the baby, over-the-counter and health & beauty categories were top performers, with an average ROAS of $3.38, $2.95 and $2.57 respectively.
- Mobile campaigns that include video outperformed non-video campaigns with 19 percent higher ROAS.
- Campaigns featuring either a promotion or coupon outperformed other creative formats by as much as 80 percent.
How Benchmarks Were Calculated:
- The benchmarks are based on independent, test and control measurement studies conducted by Nielsen Catalina Solutions (NCS) to measure incremental sales and ROAS for campaigns powered by 4INFO’s platform. NCS is a joint venture between Nielsen and Catalina.
- The measurement studies measured incremental sales for 248 mobile ad campaigns across 138 consumer packaged goods brands from 2013 through 2016.
- ROAS studies were then aligned to common CPG brand categories including baby, over-the-counter, health & beauty, beverage, pet, general merchandise and food.
Get the Full Benchmarks Report
4INFO released its 2017 CPG Sales Lift Benchmarks report on Sept. 19, 2017. Download the report here.
4INFO is an identity and engagement solutions company. Born in mobile, 4INFO’s platform features the patented Bullseye ID®— a persistent match key that maps all connected devices in a household to valuable consumer data for marketing insights, targeting and measurement. With industry-leading accuracy, reach and scale, 4INFO’s platform has been proven effective by more than 450 independent measurement studies. Hundreds of brands have relied on 4INFO, including eight of the top 10 CPG companies, six of the 10 largest retailers, seven of the top 10 financial services companies, the five largest auto manufacturers and six of the top 10 pharmaceutical companies. 4INFO is headquartered in San Mateo, Calif., with offices in New York, Chicago and Detroit. For more, visit 4INFO.com
1) comScore MMX Multi-Platform, January 2017
2) eMarketer, 2017 U.S. Display Ad Spending by Device