ironSource Launches AR Ads for Mobile AAA Games

Share Article

New Format Enables Massive Game Companies to Leverage the Next-Generation of Advertising; First Campaign Slated for November

Augmented Reality Ad Demo

For mobile AAA games which are often 3D and filled with special effects, AR ads finally offer a format that can evoke the true nature and experience of the game in an ad experience.

Leading mobile monetization and marketing company ironSource today announced the launch of the world’s first AR ads for games. In development while ARKit was still in beta, these ads will now be available on hundreds of millions of smartphones worldwide, after Apple’s release of ARKit, and Google’s launch of ARCore bring AR capabilities to the mainstream. The ads are designed and produced entirely in-house by ironSource’s Playworks Studio, a division in the company wholly dedicated to using game design and performance expertise to innovate around ad creatives.

“For mobile AAA games which are often 3D and filled with special effects, AR ads finally offer a format that can evoke the true nature and experience of the game in an ad experience. Couple that with the large scale supply enabled by our direct relationships with thousands of game publishers using our ad network, and the potential opportunity for massive game advertisers is huge,” said Dan Greenberg, Chief Design Officer at ironSource. “Ultimately, amazing creative experiences are not enough to guarantee campaign results. You need to be able to access large volumes of relevant users, and to live close enough to the data to iterate and optimize. As the first ad network offering AR ads, that’s something we’re able to offer mobile AAA games looking to grow their market share by leveraging this new format.”

ironSource’s mobile video SDK is one of the largest in the industry, with over 80K integrations. This gives ironSource access to a huge amount of in-game supply in which to run AR ads directly to today’s most engaged gamers.

The AR ads use 3D assets from the original game, and can run on both iOS and Android in-app traffic, within rewarded, video, and display placements. ironSource AR ads superimpose in-game characters and scenarios from the advertised game onto the user’s real-world environment. Users will be able to vanquish monsters, earn points, or step into the virtual world of the game, before being prompted to install the app to continue playing.

“While we’ve seen AR applied in an advertising context with features like lenses, this is the first time it will be used to market games. Yet games are in many ways the perfect application for AR advertising, given that a lot of the ways people interact with AR experiences actually mimic gameplay interaction,” continued Greenberg. “The fact that we’ve been working with some of the largest gaming companies for so many years means we have a deep understanding of gameplay and how to translate it into a more compact and condensed ad experience. We’ve presented this new technology to our top partners while in beta and the reactions were uniformly positive. Our first campaign is already scheduled for November once user adoption of iOS 11 has increased.

About ironSource
ironSource, the leading in-app video advertising platform, makes free-to-play and free-to-use possible for over 1.2B people around the world. We build technologies that help keep app developers in business, including the industry’s largest in-app video SSP. Since only 2% of users pay to play, we provide tools to engage the other 98%. That’s why over 80K apps use our technologies to grow their app businesses, and why we’re working with leading companies like Big Fish Games, Zynga and Playrix. We care about good creative and making ads as enjoyable as your games, and our designers sit next to our performance team, making sure data informs every creative decision. Founded in 2010, we’re a truly global company, with offices in Tel Aviv, London, New York, San Francisco, Beijing, Bangalore and Seoul. Read more at http://www.ironsrc.com

Share article on social media or email:

View article via:

Pdf Print

Contact Author

Melissa Zeloof
ironSource
+972 584211987
Email >
@ironSource
Follow >
Follow us on
Visit website