I always wanted to do a book like this but I didn't have anyone to take on the project until Manual Serra Saez came along. His thesis was so awesome we made him the Creative Director for the book. - Bruce Brown
Santa Barbara, CA (PRWEB) October 11, 2017
Academy Award Nominee and film maker Bruce Brown has released his newest endeavor, The Endless Summer Book and Box Set which celebrates the 50th Anniversary of his iconic surf film The Endless Summer. Only 1,966 copies of the book will be available for sale commemorating the year of the film’s global release. The Endless Summer Book and Box Set comes with a remastered DVD of the movie, memorabilia saved from his trip i.e., personal letters, news clippings, critic reviews, theatre tickets, maps and a five-frame actual film strip from the original movie and more.
The Endless Summer Book and Box Set took over five years to make and was the inspiration of Manuel Serra Saez who had a passion for the sport and the movie. While attending the University EASD (school of Art and Design) in Spain, Saez created the book for his university degree showing the behind the scenes action of the film. He made two original ‘hand-made’ copies, turned one in for his grade and sent the other to Brown. Six months later, Saez was asked by Bruce Brown Films if he would like to be the creative director for the publishing of the book. Saez was flown to California and spent three months in Brown’s attic going through his personal collection, finding many items that had not been seen or unboxed for well over 40-years including photos, letters and items he used to further enhance The Endless Summer Book and Box Set creation.
In a section entitled, “In Their Own Words” each principle of the original movie wrote in their own words about the trip; Robert August, Mike Hynson, John Van Hamersveld, Bob Bagley, Robert “Wingnut” Weaver (the star of Endless of Summer II) along with members of the band The Sandals (who wrote the music for the movie), all write about what The Endless Summer movie meant to them, their experiences and how it has changed their life.
The book also dives into Brown’s innovation with cameras, his film making, and prior movies before he produced The Endless Summer including a piece about the movie he co-produced with legendary actor, Steve McQueen, titled On Any Sunday where Brown and McQueen received an Academy Award nomination for Best Documentary.
Franklin Joseph Publishing produced and published the book; it is the only collector’s book and box set ever created celebrating the history of the film. The book is written by Dana Brown, the son of Bruce Brown, and authorized by Bruce Brown Films, LLC.
Upcoming Events and Appearances Include:
- October 21, 2017 – Robert August induction into the International Surfboard Builders Hall of Fame in Huntington Beach, CA at the International Surfing Museum
- November 18, 2017 – Santa Barbara, CA ‘Launch Party’ at The Endless Summer Café
Check The Endless Summer Book and Box Set website for more upcoming events and appearances.
"The Endless Summer Book and Box Set” can be purchased at http://www.EndlessSummerBooks.com.
Facts and Contents of The Endless Summer Book and Box Set:
- Limited Edition and Sequentially Numbered to only to 1966 Units
- Main Book Cover is all Hand-Made with Chinese Binding
- Clamshell Box is Linen-Wrapped + tipped on Iconic Poster Artwork with raised domed label – all handmade and assembled
- Hand-Signed Certificate of Authenticity signed by Bruce Brown, Legendary Surfers Robert August and Mike Hynson and Poster Designer, John Van Hamersveld
- Three ‘Flip Books’ that cover iconic scenes from the film inclusive of surf scenes, waves, adventures along with various still shots of never-before-seen images and behind-the-scene photos
- Original Film Strip from Original Film Print with Five (5) Frames, each unique, no two are the same, literally owning a unique piece of surf and film history, includes film strip holder for viewing.
- Remastered DVD to relive the journey and film in high-resolution and enhanced quality than the original film.
- Reproductions and Replicas – theatre tickets, scripts with hand-written notes, letters from influential publications written by iconic personalities including the New York Times, Larry King, True Magazine, and a personal letter from the late Hugh Hefner of Playboy.
- Replica Hand-Written Letter from Bruce Brown to his Parents along with never-before-seen photos taken by Bruce
- World Map with Travel Route used for their epic trip around the world in 1963-1964
- Iconic Poster – Revisited and Re-Interpreted
- 1964 Marketing Brochure
- Limited Edition Two-Sided Bronze Medallion – Exclusive to the Collection
- Book & Box Set weighs = 5.5 lbs.
For media inquiries and interviews, please contact Kelly Bennett of Bennett Unlimited PR Kelly(at)BPUnlimited.com or (949) 463-6383