WASHINGTON (PRWEB) October 12, 2017
Hanley Wood, the premier information, media, event, and strategic marketing services company serving the residential, commercial design, and construction industries, is pleased to announce the winners of its 2017 Remodeling Design Awards. The Remodeling Design Awards recognize excellence in design and construction of residential and light commercial remodeling and renovation projects.
Each year, REMODELING honors the industry’s best and brightest with its prestigious Remodeling Design Awards competition. Of the 185 entries, the judges chose just 13 projects: one Project of the Year, six grand awards and six merit prizes. All show top-notch creativity and craftsmanship that were deserving of recognition.
Judges lauded the clean lines in many of the projects submitted for the 2017 Remodeling Design Awards. They agreed the trend toward contemporary and modern design is getting stronger and more pervasive. During their deliberations, judges discussed not only the overall look and feel of a space but also the smallest design choices, such as hardware. “What set this year’s winners apart were those meticulous details and the level of difficulty in executing the design,” said Craig Webb, editor-in-chief of REMODELING.
This year’s Project of the Year was Valley Club, a 5,950-square-foot single-family home in Southern California. Entered in the Historic Restoration category, the home was designed by architect Diego Monchamp, Brown Design Group, Los Angeles; and remodeled by Ryan Prahm, DD Ford Construction, Santa Barbara, CA. It was originally destined to be transformed into a contemporary steel-and concrete home, but after investigating the home’s history, the team chose to preserve it. The home now features a large kitchen with two separate islands; a large volume of windows which enables the owner’s wish of a seamless indoor-outdoor living space; and outdoor living features including a pool, several decks and a table and bench set constructed from pine trees torn down on the lot.
The other winners are:
- Grand Award - Bathroom Remodel over $50,000: Architect/Builder: Jonas Carnemark, Carnemark design + build, Bethesda, MD
- Grand Award – Whole-House Remodel under $500,000: Architect: Robert Gurney, Washington, DC. Builder: Mashood Mazaheri, Arta Construction, Alexandria, VA
- Grand Award – Whole-House Remodel over $500,000: Architect: Tim Cuppett, Dave Kilpatrick, Robert Featherston, and Adriana Chetty, Tim Cuppett Architects, Austin, TX. Builder: Jeremy Martin, Risher/Martin Fine Homes, Austin, TX
- Grand Award - Exterior Remodeling over $150,000: Architect: Cary Bernstein, Cary Bernstein Architect, San Francisco, CA. Builder: Nicholas Judd, Gelling & Judd, San Francisco, CA
- Grand Award – Commercial Remodeling under $500,000: Architect: Leonard Ng, LNAI Architecture, San Francisco, CA. Builder: Bill Johnstone, Johnstone Mcauliffe Construction, Pacifica, CA
- Grand Award – Commercial Remodeling under $500,000: Architect: Aidlin Darling Design, San Francisco, CA. Builder: Dan Fishbein, Fishbein Properties, San Francisco, CA
- Merit Award – Historically Sensitive Renovation under $300,000: Architect Joshua Hill, Hill & Hurtt Architects, Washington, DC. Builder: Cem Sevim, Buffalo Co., Arlington, VA
- Merit Award – Universal Design: Architect/Builder: Jonas Carnemark, Carnemark design + build, Bethesda, MD
- Merit Award – Kitchen Remodel over $100,000: Architect: Natalie Venalainen, Men At Work Design Build, Toronto, Canada. Builder: Paul Gallop, Men At Work Design Build, Toronto, Canada
- Merit Award – Residential Exterior Remodeling under $150,000: Architect: Janet Bloomberg, KUBE architecture, Washington, DC. Builder: Kevin Milloy, Milloy Carpentry, Springfield, VA
- Merit Award – Kitchen Remodeling over $100,000: Architect: Chris Christofferson, David Heide Design Studio, Minneapolis, MN. Builder: Doug Tanner, Dovetail Renovation, Minneapolis, MN
- Merit Award – Exterior Remodel over $150,000: Architect: Donald Lococo, Donald Lococo Architects, Washington, DC. Builder: Carl Petty, Carl Petty Associates, Washington, DC
Learn more about this year’s Remodeling Design Awards winners and see their innovative entries in REMODELING’s October 2017 issue or online at http://www.remodelingmag.com.
REMODELING, published by Hanley Wood, is the leading publication in the home improvement industry. REMODELING has and continues to be the indispensable tool that remodelers cannot do without—delivering the business know-how, product and technical information that home improvement pros need to help make smart decisions that will shape their project success.
About Hanley Wood
Hanley Wood is the premier company serving the information, media, and marketing needs of the residential, commercial design and construction industry. Utilizing the largest analytics and editorially driven Construction Industry Database, the company provides business intelligence and data-driven services. The company produces award-winning media, high-profile executive events, and strategic marketing solutions. To learn more, visit hanleywood.com.