DOOR COUNTY, Wis. (PRWEB) December 20, 2017
January is a special time in Door County. Lovebirds snuggle into a beautiful bed and breakfast for a Nature of Romance getaway. 1,000-foot lake freighters can be seen making their way through the Sturgeon Bay shipping canal to undergo winter maintenance at Fincantieri Bay Shipbuilding. Fishing enthusiasts prepare for record breaking catches in their ice shanties. Snowmobilers blaze across miles and miles of trails. Cross country skiers and snowshoers marvel at winter’s beauty along quiet forested trails. Add it all up and the peninsula is a great winter destination whether you’re looking for outdoor recreation or romance. Visitors can plan their vacation today at DoorCounty.com or by calling the Door County Visitor Bureau toll free at 800-527-3529.
Spend New Year’s Day braving the cold temperatures for a brisk dip in Lake Michigan for the Annual Polar Bear Swim at Lakeside Park in Jacksonport. After, join the fun and celebrate at Egg Harbor’s New Year’s Day Parade at 1pm.
Get out the fishing rod and try ice fishing around Door County during the DNR’s Free Ice Fishing Weekend, January 20 & 21.
Enjoy an enchanted evening while cross country skiing at Whitefish Dune’s Candlelight Ski, January 27.
Plan a romantic getaway this winter with Door County’s Nature of Romance lodging packages. From now until March 25, 2018 guests can enjoy dozens of special romantic packages offering luxurious accommodations, scrumptious food, fun-filled activities, a $25 Door County gift certificate and more!
Did you know?
Door County has over 250 miles of state and club snowmobile trails. Find up-to-date trail status and snow activities, here.
On-Going Winter Activities
- Door County Trolley- Take a relaxing ride on a winter or wine, spirits, and brew themed trolley tour. Both tours include lunch and a stop at a local winery.
- Hands on Art Studio-DIY with friends or a special someone at adult night. Bring snacks and drinks for an ultimate night out.
- Ridges Sanctuary-Stretch the legs and breathe in the fresh winter air on a guided hike on one of the many trails.
- White Gull Inn- Taste and view a traditional Door County fish boil in the winter every Friday evening.
- Door County Maritime Museum- Learn about the maritime heritage of Door County during a winter afternoon.
- Kurtz Corral- Enjoy a beautiful winter afternoon on a snowy trail ride with one of many horses available for all ages and abilities.
Can’t Miss Arts & Culture Event
January 23, 2018- Recycled Percussion at Door Community Auditorium. Music created by a four-man band using only household items as instruments.
Stay Connected at DoorCounty.com
Door County is a bucolic peninsula that juts out into Lake Michigan in Wisconsin’s northeast corner. Named one of the Top 10 Vacation Destinations in North America by Money magazine, Door County features 300 miles of shoreline, 11 lighthouses, 5 state parks and 19 county parks. It is known for its natural beauty, artistic offerings and year-round outdoor recreation opportunities.