Purchasing a new horse is an exciting time, but there are certain considerations to keep in mind along the way.
FORT WORTH, Texas (PRWEB) January 04, 2018
Purchasing a new horse is an exciting time, but there are certain considerations to keep in mind along the way. Dr. Jennifer Kasten, DVM at Vetoquinol, distributer of equine health products, including Zylkene Equine, provides her tips to help the process go smoothly.
- Assess skill levels. Before purchasing a new horse, analyze your abilities and goals. An upper level performance horse may not be the best suited for a novice rider.
- Prep for costs. Even if the purchase price is reasonable, boarding, feeding, veterinary care, farrier care and training costs are all important to consider. Making sure you’re prepared for the total investment is essential.
- Check his health first. Obtain a pre-purchase examination on the horse from a licensed veterinarian familiar with the intended equine discipline. This provides valuable information on any existing medical problems including the horse’s condition and overall health on the day of the examination. Make sure the new horse is up to date on his vaccinations, has a current negative Coggins test, and a formal health certificate (if moving across state lines).
- Ask diet questions. Be sure to consult with the seller regarding the horse’s current diet and supplements so that provisions can be made.
- Help him cope with stress. Trailer rides, new stabling situations, changed social dynamics with turn-out groups and new routines that accompany a new ownership can all be stressful for your horse. Consider adding Zylkene Equine to help your horse with these stressors. Zylkene Equine helps horses cope with stressful situations. Zylkene’s unique, milk-derived ingredient providing Alpha-Casozepine which has calming benefits to help horses cope with stress. Zylkene is available through veterinary offices. Veterinarians can best guide how to use the product for your horse.
- Seek professional advice. A trusted and experienced trainer or instructor can provide additional valuable advice during your search.
To get additional tips on horse health and care, visit http://www.barnchats.com.
About Vetoquinol USA:
Headquartered in Fort Worth, Texas, Vetoquinol USA is owned by Vetoquinol SA, an independent, family-owned French pharmaceutical company founded in 1933. Dedicated exclusively to animal health, Vetoquinol USA is focused on the development, production and marketing of FDA, EPA, and AAFCO-regulated pharmaceutical, nutritional and dermatological products for small and large animals. Vetoquinol’s livestock division offers products for horses and cattle to assist owners and veterinarians with joint health, pain management, immune support, behavior and general care. For more information, visit http://www.barnchats.com, http://www.facebook.com/BarnChats, http://www.Instagram.com/BarnChats