Honoring the roles of the people whose life's careers promoted our profession and the vision of Loren Dunton is indeed a privilege... IARFC Chairman and CEO H. Stephen Bailey.
MIDDLETOWN, Ohio (PRWEB) January 23, 2018
Generally regarded as the “Father of Financial Planning”, Loren Dunton organized financial professionals in the late sixties and with their help created the financial planning movement. Dunton developed associations, magazines, colleges, university programs and foundations. He used his experiences to frankly explain what all financial consultants now recognize - that the ethical sales of financial products and the delivery of competent advice is a noble calling. Loren Dunton was a man of vision who cared deeply about both financial consultants and consumers.
In bestowing the Loren Dunton Memorial Award, the IARFC recognizes Dr. Gustafson’s contribution to Dunton’s principles and mission. “I believe Bill Gustafson deserves this very prestigious leadership award for starting and building what many believe is the very best Personal Financial Planning (PFP) on-campus university program in the nation,” relates Dr. John Gilliam, Director of MS programs at Texas Tech University (TTU). “The program has the most extensive on-campus multi-level degree program in the nation consisting of a B.S., M.S. and Ph.D.”
Dr. Gustafson - visionary, leader and mentor has served in many roles during his 30+ years in the development of PFP degree programs across the United States. Highlights of his career reflects having:
- Started and built the most extensive on-campus multi-level degree program in the nation consisting of a B.S., M.S., and Ph.D. in Personal Financial Planning
- Served on multiple Boards: Industry/Educator Forum of the IAFP, the First IBCFP Board (now CFP) of Examiners, First Board of the Association for Financial Counseling and Planning Education
- Taught over 25 different courses during his long university career and educated thousands of students in both personal financial planning majors’ courses and personal finance courses designed to enhance financial literacy
- Appeared in over 150 television and radio presentation concerning financial planning topics
- Been quoted in The Wall Street Journal Online, The Christian Science Monitor, Baltimore Sun, Houston Chronicle, San Antonio News Express, Dallas Morning News, Lubbock Avalanche Journal, U.S. News and World Reports, USA Today, Accounting Today, Dow Jones Investment Advisor and Financial Planning Magazine
- Provided leadership (although retired) to TTU and freely shares his expertise with universities across the nation that want to start financial planning programs
- A CV which lists 55 conference presentations and 25 research publications
- Recognition within the university for awards in teaching excellence, faculty service and leadership
- Served on 60+ committees for his department, college and university
“I’m truly stunned and VERY honored to be chosen to receive the award named for the man who is referred to as the “Father of Financial Planning,” answered Dr. Gustafson. “I had the opportunity to meet Loren Dunton early in my academic career and we have his papers and professional memorabilia in the Archives for the History of Financial Planning at Texas Tech. His vision of forming a new profession has led to the development of many professional careers and many more families and individuals who were helped in achieving their life goals by those professionals. To receive such an honor from the IARFC is truly a highlight of my professional career.”
Dr. Gustafson will be presented the Loren Dunton Memorial Bust during the 2018 IARFC Biltmore Conference at an awards banquet on April 18th by industry leader and 2017 award winner Ric Edelman, RFC of Edelman Financial.
“We are truly excited to welcome Dr. Gustafson to the Biltmore Conference,” commented IARFC Chairman and CEO H. Stephen Bailey, MRFC. “Honoring the roles of the people whose life’s careers promoted our profession and the vision of Loren Dunton is indeed a privilege.”
For additional information on the IARFC, the Loren Dunton Memorial Award, and the 2018 IARFC Biltmore Conference visit the IARFC website.