BERKELEY, Calif. (PRWEB) January 30, 2018
Diversity Abroad is pleased to announce the recipients of the 2018 Excellence in Diversity & Inclusion in International Education (EDIIE) Awards. On an individual, institutional, and organizational level this year’s recipients have demonstrated a commitment to Diversity Abroad’s vision of advancing diversity and inclusive excellence within global education and to ensure that the next generation of young people from diverse and underrepresented backgrounds are equipped with the skills, knowledge and global acumen to thrive in the 21st century interconnected world and global workforce.
“Each year Diversity Abroad has the opportunity to recognize institutions, organizations and individuals who have tirelessly worked to expand access to global education for students who have traditionally not taken advantage of these high impact experiences. Through their work the 2018 EDIIE award recipients are creating opportunities for all students to gain access to the rich academic, career and interpersonal benefits that are derived from global education and cultural exchange. We are honored to highlight the awardees success.” says Andrew Gordon, CEO & Founder of Diversity Abroad.
The awards will be presented on April 10, 2018 at the 6th Annual Diversity Abroad Conference, New Realities and Untapped Potential, in Miami, FL.
ABOUT THE EXCELLENCE IN DIVERSITY & INCLUSION IN INTERNATIONAL EDUCATION (EDIIE) AWARDS
Through the Excellence in Diversity & Inclusion in International Education Awards, Diversity Abroad celebrates outstanding institutions, organizations, professionals and students. The awardees have developed innovative practices, conducted original research, and championed inclusive excellence, all with an aim toward preparing diverse and underrepresented students for success through equitable access to global education and cultural exchange opportunities. The awards are divided into Institutional/Organizational Awards, Individual Professional Awards, and Student Awards. This year’s winners are:
EDIIE INSTITUTIONAL/ORGANIZATIONAL AWARDS:
- Diversity & Inclusion Champion: Western Kentucky University
- Organizational Excellence: Spelman College
- Financial Support: University of Michigan College of Literature, Science, and the Arts
- International Student Success: Tennessee State University Office of International Affairs
- Student Support: Arizona State University
- Programming (Curriculum/Co-Curricula): International Honors Program, SIT Study Abroad
Honorable Mention, Diversity & Inclusion Champion: DCPS Study Abroad
EDIIE INDIVIDUAL AWARDS:
- Leadership (10+ years experience): Minnie Battle Mays, International Partnerships and Ventures in Education, LLC
- Rising Star (2-10 years experience): Keara Dekay, University of South Carolina
Honorable Mention, Rising Star: Skyller Walkes, Texas State University
GLOBAL STUDENT LEADERSHIP AWARD:
- Graduate Student Award: Ai Doan, College of Mount Saint Vincent
- Undergraduate Student Award: Yesenia Ayala, Grinnell College
Honorable Mention: Becky Phan, Undergraduate Student, University of South Alabama
ACADEMIC ACHIEVEMENT FOR RESEARCH IN DIVERSITY & INCLUSION IN GLOBAL EDUCATION AWARD:
- Graduate Student Award: Raja Gopal, University of California Los Angeles
- Undergraduate Student Award: Jintong Liu, Wake Forest University
Full details about each recipient and student award winners are available at http://www.diversitynetwork.org/news/
ABOUT DIVERSITY ABROAD
Diversity Abroad is the leading consortium of educational institutions, government agencies, for-profit and non-profit organizations who share its vision that the next generation of young people from diverse and underrepresented backgrounds are equipped with the skills, knowledge, and global acumen to thrive in the 21st century global marketplace. Together, Diversity Abroad and its partners advance policies and practices that advance diversity and inclusion in global education and connect diverse students to educational and career opportunities.