When President Trump was campaigning...he said a lot of obnoxious things about immigration, and we were hoping that once he became president, things would become more calm. But that’s not really turned out to be the case.
WASHINGTON (PRWEB) February 15, 2018
In a January 25 teleconference, ABIL lawyers Cyrus Mehta and Greg Siskind discussed 10 things that President Trump has done without legislation to target legal and undocumented immigration in the county. Radical immigration reform was a major focus of Trump’s campaigning and remained under fire with consistent attacks in the first year of his presidency.
The 10 attacks include:
1. Termination of Temporary Protected Status for several countries’ nationals
2. Termination of the DACA program
3. Imposing new, unwritten and unlawful requirements into the H-1B program
4. Ignoring prior decisions of the agency when deciding new cases
5. The continued enforcement of the Travel Ban
6. The expected revocation of work cards for spouses of H-1B workers with pending green card applications
7. Expected new restrictions on the ability of Immigration Judges to administratively close cases
8. The new requirement to conduct in person interviews for all employment-based green card applications
9. Punishing nationals of countries disfavored by the Trump Administration
10. Changes to the Foreign Affairs Manual further restricting the ability to change visas within the US.
In the teleconference, Mehta and Siskind discuss the list, how certain legislation came to be and evolved, and also offer practice pointers on how immigration lawyers can assist. A recording of the discussion can be accessed here: https://abil.sharefile.com/share/view/sa1a81cfc7bd41d79/.