LAWRENCE, Mass. (PRWEB) February 16, 2018
Last evening, Charm Sciences of Lawrence celebrated 40 years as the leading global developer and supplier of food safety tests. Charm’s tests are used in more than 100 countries around the globe to help food suppliers meet international standards and protect against the overuse of antibiotics.
In the United States alone, over 95% of all dairies utilize a Charm test method today. Over 75% of all raw milk in the world is tested using a Charm system.
Since the company revolutionized the food safety industry 40 years ago, it has accomplished a wide array of industry firsts:
- In 1978, Charm developed the first 15-minute rapid antibiotic test, empowering the industry to stop residue contamination before it entered the milk supply, and changing the dynamic between the buyers and sellers of milk.
- In 1997 came the development of one of the first self-contained sanitation hygiene testing kits and equipment, featuring increased sensitivity to protect plants from recalls.
- In 1998, Charm developed the first one-step assay for the detection of antibiotics in milk, ROSA.
- In 1999, Charm received EPA approval for the Ecolite drinking water test. Ecolite is the only drinking water test featuring a built-in bactericide allowing safe field testing and disposal.
- In 2010, Charm followed ROSA with the first combined (simultaneous) incubator/reader called the EZ system, achieving antibiotic regulatory approvals throughout the world.
- The first lateral flow quantitative test for mycotoxins in feed and grain was developed in 2006 by Charm. Combined with WET—Water Extraction Technology—in 2012, the feed and grain industry was revolutionized.
- In 2013, Charm further expanded its portfolio of easy-to-use water tests with the only EPA-approved ready-to use commercial kit for Coliphage, a viral indicator of fecal contamination with correlation to enteric diseases caused by waters.
- Most recently, Charm launched the Peel Plate microbiological test in 2016. This takes a traditional microbiological medium and aseptically embeds it into a modern ready-to-use format. Customers simply add their sample and incubate and retain traditional microbial test results allowing follow up analysis by picking/and isolating bacterial colonies. Peel Plate has been rapidly validated by third party bodies and accepted to meet dairy test requirements regulated by FDA and the National Conference of Interstate Milk Shipments.
Known for its reputation for accuracy and reliability, Charm is approved and validated by governments, independent authorities, and organizations world-wide. Approvals include USDA, FDA and EPA in the United States, ILVO in Belgium, SAG in China, and the independent organizations ISO and AOAC among others. By gaining the trust of governments and industry leaders, Charm has been able to develop a myriad of custom tests to meet specific and rigorous regional regulations and demands.
Dr. Stanley Charm, President, and Shirley Charm founded Charm Sciences in 1978. Today, Charm’s tests are approved for sale in over 100 countries around the world. Unique to Charm, all products and equipment are the result of in-house research and development, in-house manufacturing, and a dedicated team of life-long employees. The innovative company is supported by global offices in France, Ghana, Thailand, and Netherlands.
Charm plans to extend its celebration of 40 years throughout 2018 to include the release of new and important advances in all aspects of food safety during the year.
About Charm Sciences
Charm Sciences is the largest family owned global manufacture of food safety, water quality and environmental diagnostics equipment. Charm’s portfolio includes test kits and systems for antibiotics, mycotoxins, sanitation/hygiene (ATP), shelf life prediction and microbial testing. Selling directly and through its network of distributors, Charm products serve the dairy, feed and grain, food and beverage, water, healthcare, environmental, and industrial markets in more than 100 countries around the globe. Customers rely on Charm products for excellence in quality, innovation and customer support. https://www.charm.com/
Vice President, Technical Services