Despite tech entrepreneurs in high-flying Silicon Valley sporting “flamboyantly colored, audaciously patterned socks," the survey revealed that 75% of men still favor good old-fashioned, reliable black socks, followed by funky (16%), bright colors (11%) and striped patterns (8%).
NEW YORK (PRWEB) March 06, 2018
BLACKSOCKS US, the leading men’s eTailer for fine socks, released the results of "Sock Habits of the Working Man," an in-depth look at how businessmen nationwide consume, evaluate, and sport their socks. The study provides a broad examination of working attire customs. The results: they’ll knock your socks off.
Despite tech entrepreneurs in high-flying Silicon Valley sporting “flamboyantly colored, audaciously patterned socks”, the survey revealed that 75% of men still favor good old-fashioned, reliable black socks, followed by funky (16%), bright colors (11%) and striped patterns (8%).
- 52% of men still buy their socks at retail, 41% have abandoned dress socks altogether with the remainder purchasing online.
- 80% of men buy socks once a year, with 50% of them buying an average of five pairs at a time. This puts Americans on par with France in terms of sock consumption, which is the lowest in Europe.
- The vast majority of men (75%) buy socks when their pairs start to fray, with 21% making a purchase when they lose their mate. 7% of men make a sock purchase with a new pair of shoes.
- Athletic socks are the most popular socks purchased (60%), followed by dress (21%), wool (12%) and fuzzy (4%).
- Preferred length? Calf (67%) followed by ankle (24%) and knee (8%).
- When dressing in the morning, most men either put on their socks first (36%) or last (37%) before their shoes.
- 1 in 4 (26%) respondents found socks to be the most important part of undergarments.
- 3 out of 10 (30%) respondents change socks more than once a day.
- The majority remove their socks with their hands (55%), while 12% do it by foot!
- 1 in every 10 (11%) respondents take less than 5 minutes to get ready for work
- 67% take between 5 and 30 minutes
- 16% take between 30 and 45 minutes
- Most men do not wear a tie to work (65%); however 20% sport one when they have meetings.
- Shirts (37%), pants (28%) and shoes (17%) are the three most important part of their external outfit.
“With all the colors and styles on the market, we were surprised black was still the dominant choice for men,” said Samy Liechti, President and Founder of BLACKSOCKS. “We also got a chuckle about the 12% of men who use their feet to remove their socks. Some say it’s lazy. We say ingenious!”
The study was conducted online using Survey Monkey. One thousand participants were polled, spanning across the United States. The demographic of those polled represented a broad range in household income, geographic location, age and gender.
Founded in 1999, BLACKSOCKS’ worldwide headquarters are in Zurich, Switzerland. The first to offer subscriptions, the company has sold more than four million pairs of socks. Two of Europe’s leading magazines rated BLACKSOCKS as No. 1 in comfort and durability. BLACKSOCKS ships to more than 75 countries. Additional information can be found at http://www.blacksocks.com/en-us