“We’ve seen how Hurricane Harvey devastated Houston and how their economy is still recovering,” said BizFed Founding CEO Tracy Hernandez. “We know that a major earthquake will strike Southern California in the not too distant future so our elected officials best not avoid investing solutions today.”
LOS ANGELES (PRWEB) March 07, 2018
How are California cities leading the way to prepare their communities for “The Big One?”
BizFed (The Los Angeles County Business Federation) has teamed up with Optimum Seismic Inc. to educate local government officials about the issues facing their cities in case of catastrophic destruction from an earthquake. This seminar will feature public officials and building experts identifying the impending risk of a major earthquake hitting the Los Angeles area, as well as the benefits of retrofitting buildings that are vulnerable to collapse during seismic activity.
Southern California is overdue for another major quake, the last one being the Northridge earthquake of 1994 which incurred $67 billion in damage and the loss of 57 lives. In the wake of that quake, local cities sustained substantial damages and insurance premiums soared.
- Evan Reis, Executive Director of the United States Resiliency Council will speak on a national perspective of seismic resiliency.
- David Khorram, Chief Building Official of Long Beach, will present how Long Beach is learning from the past.
- Ali Vahdani, CEO, an early pioneer in seismic retrofitting and president of Optimum Seismic, will discuss retrofit solutions that can be implemented for the primary types of vulnerable buildings, detailed descriptions of vulnerable buildings, and appropriate retrofit techniques.
- What: Seismic Retrofit Seminar for Government Leaders
- When: 10:00 a.m. to 2 p.m. Thursday, March 19 (Lunch will be served.)
- Where: Metropolitan Water District, 700 N. Alameda St., Los Angeles
- Reservations Required: Please call 323-OPTIMUM to RSVP or go to: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/optimum-seismic-and-bizfed-seismic-resiliency-seminar-tickets-42887959040
“We’ve seen how Hurricane Harvey devastated Houston and how their economy is still recovering,” said BizFed Founding CEO Tracy Hernandez. “We know that a major earthquake will strike Southern California in the not too distant future so our elected officials best not avoid investing solutions today."
Optimum Seismic, CEO, Ali Vahdani said the resiliency of L.A. communities is one of the region’s most pressing issues.
“Seismologists are predicting that the ‘Big One’ is long overdue,” he said. “We need to educate ourselves about the risks we face in order to prepare. The time to take action is now.”
About BizFed Los Angeles
With more than 175 business organizations representing 390,000 employers with 3.5 million employees throughout L.A. County, BizFed is a massive, diverse grassroots alliance that advocates for policies and projects that strengthen the regional economy. Leveraging power in numbers, BizFed explores all sides of critical issues and takes action to make a difference for business growth, job creation, and economic vitality in Southern California.
About Optimum Seismic
Optimum Seismic, Inc., is California’s leading retrofit company for earthquake retrofit engineering and construction, specializing in multifamily and commercial buildings. Since 1984, the team at Optimum Seismic has completed more than 1,900 retrofits throughout the state of California. For information, visit http://www.optimumseismic.com.