NEW ORLEANS (PRWEB) March 12, 2018
The sixth annual Shorty Fest presented by Acura, a benefit concert for the Trombone Shorty Foundation, will fill two stages at the House of Blues New Orleans with an incredible lineup of leading jazz, blues, funk, rock and soul artists on Thursday, May 3, 2018 – in between the two weekends of the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival. Tickets are on sale today:
Headliners TROMBONE SHORTY AND ORLEANS AVENUE will be joined by a stellar lineup, including TANK AND THE BANGAS, SOUL REBELS, NEW BREED BRASS BAND and a special performance by the Trombone Shorty Academy students.
Ticket pricing ranges from $80 general admission, $250 VIP tickets, which include an open bar, access to the VIP balcony, and access to the iconic House of Blues Foundation Room. A limited number of Patron tickets, at $500, include the perks of VIP tickets plus reserved seating in the Loge section of the venue, which offer incredible views of the stage.
Shorty Fest 2018 Presented by Acura is the largest fundraiser of the year for the Trombone Shorty Foundation, which supports New Orleans’ young musicians with music education, instruction, mentorship and performance opportunities. Founded by Troy “Trombone Shorty” Andrews in 2013, the Foundation inspires and prepares the next generation of New Orleans musicians, by developing their talent and connecting them to the city’s unique musical heritage. As an annual sold-out-event, Shorty Fest has built a reputation as a showcase for Academy students and up-and-coming musicians and honoring the mission of mentorship that is at the heart of the Trombone Shorty Foundation.
Shorty Fest 2018 will take place May 3 at the House of Blues New Orleans, 225 Decatur St, New Orleans, LA with doors opening at 7:30 p.m. and performances beginning at 8:00 p.m.
“The sixth annual Shorty Fest is the place to celebrate leading acts, local superstars and the next generation of New Orleans musicians, the Trombone Shorty Academy students,” said Troy “Trombone Shorty” Andrews. “We make music careers a reality -- allowing kids to pursue their dreams, with the help of incredible music education programs, mentors, and performance.”
Shorty Fest 2018 Lineup:
- Trombone Shorty and Orleans Avenue- a hard-edged funk band that employs hip-hop beats, rock dynamics and improvisation in a jazz tradition. They've rocked audiences headlining New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival since 2013 in the coveted closing spot and has performed at venues and festivals all over the globe.
- Tank and the Bangas – Combining the various musical genres Rhythmic Soul, Spoken Word, Rock, Gospel, Funk, and Folk, Tank and The Bangas have quilted a unique sound that singles them as one of the most distinctive groups to come out of New Orleans.
- The Soul Rebels - Eight piece brass ensemble that takes tradition and blends funk and soul with elements of hip hop, jazz and rock. The band built a career around an eclectic live show that harnesses the power of horns and drums in a deep pocket funk party-like atmosphere.
- Water Seed - Billboard Top 40 Recording Artist, Water Seed is a progressive innovative band that dares to bring musicianship, dexterity and creativity to Funk, Soul, R&B, Fusion, and Future Funk.
- New Breed Brass Band - living and breathing the culture of New Orleans, infusing funk, rock, jazz, and hip-hop into a custom-made enhancement of second-line brass band tradition.
- Darcy Malone & The Tangle - New Orleans based Indie, Soul, Rock n Roll band led by Darcy Malone, daughter of the Radiators’ Dave Malone and her husband, singer/guitarist Christopher Boye.
- Khris Royal & Dark Matter- Khris Royal & Dark Matter are a young alternative funk band on the forefront of the New Orleans music scene. KRDM are poised to make an impact in a way similar to the other notable funksters from New Orleans. The band is fearlessly led by dynamic saxophonist Khris Royal.
- Big Chief Juan Pardo & The Golden Commanches - Big Chief Juan Pardo’s music is an electrifying display of a culture that dates back over two hundred years in New Orleans, the Mardi Gras Indian tradition.
- Trombone Shorty Academy students - The Trombone Shorty Academy provides aspiring underserved high school musicians mentorship and experience in music performance, reading and writing while teaching New Orleans musical traditions like brass-band, traditional Jazz, Blues and gospel, Mardi Gras Indian funk, Hip-Hop, and Shorty’s own hybrid sound of “SupaFunkRock.” The Academy combines education in the region’s rich musical history with immersion in a performance ensemble under the guidance of musicians Erion Williams, Edward Lee, and and Julian Gosin of New Orleans’ own The Soul Rebels, and Jenard Andrews of New Breed Brass Band.
- Additional special guests to be announced
ABOUT THE TROMBONE SHORTY FOUNDATION
Founded by renowned New Orleans musician Troy “Trombone Shorty” Andrews in 2013, the Trombone Shorty Foundation is Andrews’ vision of sharing his passion to inspire the next generation by developing their musical talent and connecting them to the city’s unique musical heritage. Frontman of the band Trombone Shorty & Orleans Avenue, Andrews credits the support of his own positive role models in the rich New Orleans music community for helping him make his way into the world of music, where he has grown into an internationally recognized, Grammy Award-nominated artist.
Currently in its sixth year, the Trombone Shorty Academy partners with the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Foundation to perpetuate the musical heritage of the region, by teaching local high school students homegrown New Orleans music—from brass band and traditional jazz to more modern funk and rhythm & blues styles, all of which play an integral role in the richness and depth of New Orleans’ musical legacy. For more information on the Trombone Shorty Foundation, please visit: http://www.tromboneshortyfoundation.org.
Acura is a leading automotive luxury nameplate that delivers Precision Crafted Performance, representing the original values of the Acura brand – a commitment to evocative styling, high performance and innovative engineering, all built on a foundation of quality and reliability.
The Acura lineup features six distinctive models – the RLX premium, luxury sedan, the TLX performance luxury sedan, the ILX sport sedan, the 5-passenger RDX luxury crossover SUV, the seven-passenger Acura MDX, America's all-time best-selling three-row luxury SUV and the next-generation, electrified NSX supercar as a new and pinnacle expression of Acura Precision Crafted Performance.
Kelly Vogt Campbell / Kelsey Cycan
Kelly@harmonica.co / Kelsey@harmonica.co