ROCKVILLE, Md. (PRWEB) March 21, 2018
Jane Thomason, Ph.D. has been named one of the “Top 10 Digital Frontier Women” in the emerging blockchain and digital assets market by the Decade Of Women Collaboratory for her efforts to promote Blockchain for Social Impact. Thomason is CEO of Abt Associates Australia and Senior Global Advisor for Digital Transformations at Abt Associates.
The announcement was made by Decade Of Women, which is launching a series of large-scale commitments to action over the next 10 years to realize UN Sustainable Development Goal #5: Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls by 2030, and all 17 Sustainable Development Goals as they relate to women and girls.
The honorees were selected “for their pioneering work at the forefront of digital thought leadership, contribution to advancing women’s equity and [efforts to] push the boundaries of technological innovation for social impact.”
Thomason has been at the forefront of promoting the use of Blockchain to help lift people in developing countries out of poverty.
“We rely on third parties—banks, governments and others—to verify the authenticity and security of many transactions,” according to Thomason. “Blockchain replaces that need by establishing a digital, public ledger for transactions and secure, unique IDs for participants in the system.”
Blockchain has five critical applications that can significantly improve the lives vulnerable populations:
- Financial Inclusion – to connect the unbanked to the economy and to increase the efficiency of remittance flows
- Identity – to provide people with a secure way to connect with the formal economy, and government services
- Global Health Security – to improve coordination of healthcare services and create portable personal health records, and improve supply chains
- Economy – to improve transparency in land registration, supply chain , access to markets and financial inclusion
- Climate and Energy – to strengthen transparency in climate finance reporting, monitor effectiveness of climate finance and create micro grid green energy trading.
“Blockchain has the potential to connect people to the economy, services and opportunities the way mobile phones connected rural people who didn’t have access to landlines,” said Thomason. “The #DecadeOfWomen is a bold and ambitious hyper-co-collaboration to exponentiate frontier technologies to improve the lives of women and girls worldwide. I am proud to have been honored by this award and will accelerate my efforts to ensure that we see these technologies impacting at scale.”
Further details about the Decade Of Women, including its #WeUniteWe Public Pledge, can be found on the newly launched website:DecadeOfWomen.org.
About Abt Associates
Abt Associates is an engine for social impact, dedicated to moving people from vulnerability to security. Harnessing the power of data and our experts’ grounded insights, we provide research, consulting and technical services globally in the areas of health, environmental and social policy, technology and international development. http://www.abtassociates.com