We are proud to partner with Carl E. Gilbert Elementary to support the amazing staff and leadership and share our love for literacy and enthusiasm for learning.
BUENA PARK, Calif. (PRWEB) March 23, 2018
Teacher Created Materials, an educational publishing company headquartered in Huntington Beach, California, celebrated Read Across America on Friday, March 2, and throughout the month of March by sharing over 130 employee volunteers who brought their teaching, reading, painting, and building skills with Carl E. Gilbert Elementary School in Buena Park.
Read Across America is celebrated annually across the country on the birthday of Dr. Seuss (Theodor Geisel) whose books have delighted children for generations and helped build early reading skills through playful language and silly stories. Encouraging literacy and reading is the program’s goal, which aligns with the mission of Teacher Created Materials: to make teaching more effective and learning more fun. Since 2012, Teacher Created Materials has successfully conducted volunteer projects at local Orange County schools. And for the second year in a row the organization has extended its philanthropic reach to include its out of state employees, serving over 30 schools across 20 different states with literacy activities and backpacks filled with resources to all of the students.
“We are proud to partner with Carl E. Gilbert Elementary to support the amazing staff and leadership and share our love for literacy and enthusiasm for learning. This is an event that our entire staff looks forward to every year. And as we celebrate our 40th anniversary, we are excited to have supported over 30 other schools around the country, donating nearly 1500 backpacks to students,” said Corinne Burton, President of Teacher Created Materials.
Carl E. Gilbert Elementary School is a transitional kindergarten through sixth grade school educating 634 students. As a Title I school, more than 94 percent of students qualify for the free or reduced price lunch program. The staff and principal, Russell Harrison, are dedicated to preparing all students for success in college and career. The company selected this school based upon its needs, contribution to the local community, and commitment to academic excellence.
Due to inclement weather, the service activities have extended throughout the month of March, giving Teacher Created Materials the opportunity to spend more than just the initially planned day at the school. The activities included:
- Read Across America: Volunteers read, discussed, and completed literacy-focused activities with students in small groups.
- Conference Room Makeover: Volunteers painted the room and added wall signs depicting the school’s motto to improve the decor.
- Garden Projects: Volunteers put together garden boxes for the students and teachers to use for plant life cycle study.
- U.S. Map and Keyboard: Volunteers painted a colorful map of the United States and a computer keyboard on the playground blacktop.
- Health and Agility Course: Volunteers painted a colorful health and agility course on the playground blacktop.
- Fence Cup Mural: Volunteers created a fence mural and built a bench to create a reading area by the playground.
- Backpacks: All students with receive a free backpack filled with student and parent resources.
About Teacher Created Materials
Teacher Created Materials develops innovative and imaginative educational materials and services for students worldwide. Everything we do is created by teachers for teachers and students to make teaching more effective and learning more fun. For 40 years, Teacher Created Materials has proudly provided award-winning resources and offered a broad range of research- and standards-based products to support reading, writing, mathematics, social studies, science, technology, test preparation, and professional development activities in Grades PreK-12. For more information about Teacher Created Materials and their products, visit http://www.tcmpub.com.