Participating homes in the 8th annual Portland Modern Home Tour will open their doors for viewing from 11AM – 5PM on Saturday, June 1st. Ages 10 & Up are invited to attend. Tickets to see all homes are $40 in advance online; $50 on the day of the tour.
PORTLAND, Ore. (PRWEB) May 08, 2019
Some tour-goers search for an architect or home builder to work with on their next project; others hope to find a little inspiration; whatever the reasons may be, all tour-goers come to see a curated selection of Portland homes that embody the Pacific Northwest’s unique modern architecture and design aesthetic.
On Saturday, June 1st, the Modern Architecture + Design Society (MA+DS) returns to Portland for the 2019 Modern Home Tour. The annual event celebrates regional architects, designers, and home builders, and gives them the opportunity to showcase their work to the community in which they work. In turn, the self-guided tour gives the community a rare chance to ask questions and engage the minds behind the designs, as they explore some of Portland’s modern homes up close, inside and out.
“The Portland Modern Home Tour is one of the highlights of our annual Pacific Northwest series, and it’s one we always look forward to,” says MA+DS founder and president, James Leasure. “Portland has an amazing movement in modern residential architecture and design. It is truly inspiring and unique. Every year we are fortunate enough to showcase a selection of incredible designs that highlight just some of the exceptional work by leading architects and home builders in the Pacific Northwest.”
Local architecture expert Brian Libby, founder of portlandarchitecture.com, and the Modern Architecture + Design Society team have curated and selected the participating homes for the 8th annual Portland Modern Home Tour. This year’s participants include:
- A small Victorian house, bordering the Buckman and Kerns neighborhoods, that has been remodeled and modernized throughout by coNstruct design
- A modern renovation by m.o.daby design of a 1926 bungalow in the Sellwood – Moreland neighborhood
- A unit in Waechter Architecture’s Origami community of homes in the Piedmont neighborhood
- A cozy and modern Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU) in the Foster-Powell neighborhood of SE Portland that functions as a modern Airbnb, designed by Propel Studio Architecture
- A 1930’s ‘shack on the lake’ in Lake Oswego that has been transformed into a 3-story modern home by TempletonBUILT
- An original 1967 Robert Rummer home in the Oak Hills area of Beaverton, remodeled and updated by Oregon Homeworks
- A second remodeled Robert Rummer home in Beaverton, originally built in 1971, recently renovated and updated by Garrison Hullinger Design
- A brand-new modern home in SW Portland, designed by Urban Housing Development, that features all the elements of a cozy Pacific Northwest home
This year’s event will also feature a post-tour gathering at a 2nd Oregon Homeworks home, featuring light fare and beverages, as well as great discussion. Details to be announced.
The Portland Community College Architecture and Interior Design Club is returning to work with the Modern Home Tour this year as the tour’s official beneficiary non-profit. Budding architecture and interior design students will help staff the event in return for a donation and the opportunity to use the tour as a fundraising vehicle. Additional proceeds will be added to develop a scholarship fund to help future architects and designers further their education.
Participating homes in the 8th annual Portland Modern Home Tour will open their doors for viewing from 11AM – 5PM on Saturday, June 1st. Ages 10 & Up are invited to attend. Tickets to see all homes are $40 in advance online; $50 on the day of the tour. Details on participants can be found on the 2019 Portland Modern Home Tour event page.
About the Modern Architecture + Design Society: Based in Austin, Texas, the Modern Architecture + Design Society was founded was founded by James Leasure in 2010 as Modern Home Tours, to introduce modern architecture and living to people across the nation. Through fun and informative self-guided home tours in dozens of cities across the USA and Canada, the group invites people into some of the most exciting examples of modern architecture and design in the nation. With carefully selected architects, neighborhoods and architecture, the MA+DS Home Tours are unlike anything you’ve ever seen. Not only will you learn about the cutting edge of home design while on our tours, but you might even get an idea or two for your next home project!