“The research suggests that marketing organizations may be becoming more tactically-driven and perhaps missing the strategic advantages that marketing automation can enable,” says Jim Lenskold, President of Lenskold Group.
Manasquan, NJ (PRWEB) November 20, 2013
The impact of content marketing on engagement and financial results falling short of their potential based on a lack of comprehensive processes and measurements, according to research released today. The 2013 Lead Generation Marketing Effectiveness Study conducted by Lenskold Group and sponsored by The Pedowitz Group found that marketing organizations lack strengths in key process areas that are often enabled by marketing automation – such as content customization, targeting and measurement of sales conversion. While companies using marketing automation integrated with sales or CRM systems have better outcomes and practices, most companies are not achieving the full strategic value from their automation.
This effectiveness study has been conducted with B2B lead gen marketers annually since 2008 and includes an analysis of a best practice group of marketers defining their organization’s marketing as “highly effective and efficient.” The results from this top tier group show that much higher strengths in processes and capabilities are possible and align to higher performance. This group is putting its marketing automation to use in targeting, indicating that lead scoring is a primary driver of incremental revenue from content marketing and citing strengths in using intelligent targeting to trigger content. The top tier segment also leverages automation to measure financial outcomes, where close to half are measuring incremental revenue and ROI (vs. just over 20% of all other marketers).
The full report is available for download at http://www.lenskold.com/LeadGenStudy_2013. The survey was conducted with 323 B2B lead generation marketers globally, recruited with the support of Demand Gen Report and Pedowitz Group. Highlights from the 29-page research report include:
- Companies outgrowing their competitors are more likely than same/slower growth companies to use integrated marketing automation (63% vs. 49%) and use marketing ROI to assess their marketing campaigns (40% vs. 28%)
- Highly effective and efficient marketers are more likely than other marketers to have strengths in using intelligent targeting to trigger content (59% vs. 17%), capturing intelligence for sales team (54% vs. 25%) and customizing content to Buyer Journey stage (49% vs. 21%)
- Highly effective and efficient marketers are more likely than other marketers to measure sales conversion (73% vs. 56%), the ROI of content marketing (51% vs. 19%) and incremental revenue (49% vs. 17%)
- Highly effective and efficient marketers indicate that marketing automation systems and lead scoring based on content and engagement as most responsible for improving revenue contribution (78% and 68%, respectively)
- Integrated Marketing Automation companies are more likely than companies without automation to re-purpose content for efficiency (45% vs. 28%) and capture intelligence for the sales team (35% vs. 19%)
- Integrated Marketing Automation companies are more likely than companies without automation to measure content marketing using results tracking with attribution to multiple touchpoints (36% vs. 11%) and tracking with attribution to the first touchpoint (39% vs. 15%)
- Marketing ROI users are more likely than users of traditional metrics to attribute the primary drivers for improving revenue as having objectives linked to revenue (58% vs. 27%) and marketing automation systems (62% vs. 38%)
“The research suggests that marketing organizations may be becoming more tactically-driven and perhaps missing the strategic advantages that marketing automation can enable,” says Jim Lenskold, President of Lenskold Group. “Rich data from tracking customer engagement, behaviors and outcomes, combined with automation that can present the right content to the right contact, opens up tremendous opportunity to increase sales and revenue. However, more attention is needed on building processes and capabilities that leverage marketing automation strategically.”
"Marketing executives must realize that marketing automation alone does not create a competitive advantage in driving revenue growth,” says Jeff Pedowitz, President and CEO of The Pedowitz Group. “High performing companies take a more holistic approach to planning, execution and measurements of lead generation marketing with clear alignment to revenue contribution."
The full report is available for free download at http://www.lenskold.com/LeadGenStudy_2013 and includes an executive summary, recommendations, and detailed findings. The report also includes sponsor commentary from The Pedowitz Group (http://www.pedowitzgroup.com), the world’s largest full-service Revenue Marketing agency, which specializes in creating repeatable, predictable and scalable revenue results.
# # #
About Lenskold Group
Lenskold Group offers one of the most comprehensive and innovative approaches to applying marketing ROI techniques and tools to plan, measure and optimize marketing strategies toward maximum profitability. Lenskold Group combines financial discipline and a unique blend of measurement methodologies to deliver practical solutions that establish accountability and credibility for marketing organizations. The company has delivered high-quality consulting and marketing services to generate profitable growth for a broad range of client companies since 1997. The senior team of accomplished professionals provides cohesive and comprehensive solutions in the area of marketing ROI processes, measurements and analytics. Company President and Founder, Jim Lenskold, is author of the award-winning book, “Marketing ROI, The Path to Campaign, Customer and Corporate Profitability.” To learn more about Lenskold Group and its innovative services, visit the Lenskold Group website at http://www.lenskold.com or call +1 732 292-2600.
About The Pedowitz Group
Pedowitz Group, an Inc. 500 company, is the world’s largest full-service Revenue Marketing™ Agency. A two time Pacesetter winner, Pedowitz Group helps global clients transform their marketing organizations from cost centers to revenue centers by assessing and optimizing six controls: strategy, people, process, technology, content and results. As the authority on Revenue Marketing Transformation™, the company has helped over 1,100 clients begin the journey to driving predictable, repeatable and scalable revenue results. Pedowitz Group customers have won over 30 nationally recognized awards for their Revenue Marketing excellence. For more information on how Pedowitz Group helps clients become successful Revenue Marketers®, visit http://www.pedowitzgroup.com or call us at 855-REV-MKTG or visit Revenue Marketer Blog.