New York, New York (PRWEB) October 03, 2013
New York's Chinatown bus services via Lucky Star and Fung Wah may soon return. If approved by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, the Department of Transportation agency that regulates interstate bus travel, both companies may be back in business running buses between Boston’s South Station and Chinatown, according to [The Boston Globe(9.27.13). Attorney at Law David Perecman understands that safety will now be a top priority for the two companies which were shut down months ago by federal authorities.
“Safety for passengers and employees needs to be the number one priority for all bus companies,” said Perecman, founder of The Perecman Firm in New York.
According to The Boston Globe, Lucky Star has reported spending close to $1 million upgrading its operations. Money was spent for the leasing of five new buses, a digital system for each bus that will enable drivers to transmit their vehicle examination reports, and a device that limits bus speed to 65 miles per hour. Each driver was trained in federal regulations and other safety measures, and managers were instructed in proper record keeping. The bus company fired four drivers for failing an English-language test.
Fung Wah, said The Boston Globe, reportedly sold 10 of its oldest buses and hired a full-time safety manager. The company also put its drivers, dispatchers, and mechanics through safety training and adopted a much more stringent maintenance plan.
Earlier this year, Fung Wah’s operating authority was revoked for a number of violations, including cracks in the frames of buses and falsified maintenance records. Lucky Star lost its license for violations including improper maintenance, bad brakes and rotted floors, reported the Boston Globe.
According to 2013 Commercial Motor Vehicle Facts released by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, 242 fatal bus accidents occurred in 2011. In the bus crashes, 283 people were killed and approximately 24,000 were injured.
“Victims of bus accidents may suffer serious or fatal injuries, in addition to emotional trauma,” said Perecman. “Bus companies are ultimately responsible for passenger safety.”
The Boston Globe article cited was “Fung Wah, Lucky Star may be on the road again soon.”
The personal injury accident attorneys at The Perecman Firm in New York have helped many people obtain the compensation they deserve following bus accidents in New York. Contact The Perecman Firm at 212-977-7033.
About David Perecman and The Perecman Firm, PLLC:
For the past 30 years, the New York personal injury, medical malpractice, construction accident, and auto accident lawyers at The Perecman Firm, PLLC have handled all types of cases of vehicular accidents in New York, including bus and auto accidents. David Perecman, founder of the Firm, has been recognized for his achievements as an Honoree in the National Law Journal's Hall of Fame, in New York Magazine's "The Best Lawyers in America" and The New York Times Magazine "New York Super Lawyers, Metro Edition" for the years 2007-2010. The prestigious U.S. News & World Report ranks The Perecman Firm among the top 20 personal injury firms in New York City for 2011-2012 and 2012-2013.
The Firm has recovered millions of dollars for its clients. Among the more recent victories, Mr. Perecman won a $15 million verdict** for a construction accident (Index 112370/03) Supreme Court, New York County, a $5.35 million dollar verdict*** for an automobile accident (Index 2749/04) Supreme Court, Kings County, and a $40 million dollar structured settlement for medical malpractice (Index 2146/03)****Supreme Court, Kings County.
The Perecman Firm serves Manhattan, Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island, Long Island, Westchester, Upstate NY, Morris County, and Rockland County.
**later settled while on appeal for $7.940 million
*** later settled for $3.5 million
**** total potential payout
"Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome."