'There’s no better birthday present than a successful auction! The rarity of great collections ruled today, as is evidenced by the results for the collection of Tawfiq N. Khoury and the Monumental Cellar.' - Chairman and CEO Don Zacharia
White Plains, New York (PRWEB) May 26, 2016
Zachys May 19 & 20 New York auction at Smith & Wollensky, Fine Wines & Spirits, Featuring the Legendary Collection of Tawfiq N. Khoury, realized $4.9 million last week and was 99% sold. Collectors from around the globe were in the room, took to the phones, used Zachys' online bidding platform, and placed absentee bids to stake their claim on the wines and spirits offered. This auction was particularly special as clients and friends joined to celebrate Don Zacharia’s, Zachys CEO, 85th birthday. More on that later in the release....
The feature of the auction was the collection from Tawfiq N. Khoury, a longtime Zachys client and repeat consignor. Bitten by the wine bug in the early 1970s, Khoury amassed an extraordinary collection of rare bottlings from top domaines in Europe. Zachys' clients understood this rarity and stopped at nothing to win some bottlings for their own cellar.
- One bottle of Château Latour 1959 realized $2,940 (high estimate: $1,700)
- One bottle of Château Latour 1945 realized $4,165 (high estimate: $2,800)
- Two bottles of Château Latour 1961 realized $10,413 (high estimate: $7,500)
- One double magnum of Château Lafite Rothschild 1953 realized $11,025 (high estimate: $8,500)*
As Zachys has seen in previous auctions, rare, older bottlings of champagne performed especially well. Zachys achieved impressive results with 2 magnums of Dom Pérignon 1971 from Khoury’s collection realizing $5635. Additional highlights include 2 magnums of Dom Pérignon Rosé 1969 which realized $14,700. A reoccurring theme remained: older, large formats are getting higher and higher prices in the auction market. Overall, the Khoury collection realized $381,588, nearly at the high estimate.
This auction also featured a stunning assemblage of Spirits. Macallan, Pappy, Glenfiddich, and A. H. Hirsch were all represented, but the demand for Japanese whisky stole the show. Zachys Hong Kong auctions have featured Japanese whiskies for many sales now, and will be included in Zachys' upcoming auction in Hong Kong on May 27 & 28—but this New York sale was one of the first times such a sizeable assortment was available for bidding stateside. Many of the Japanese whiskies, especially bottlings of Karuizawa, hammered well above their high estimates.
- One 700ml bottle of Karuizawa Cask #7524 28 Year Old Single Malt 1983 realized $4,655 (high estimate: $3,200)
- One 700ml bottle of Karuizawa Fire Dragon Cask #6370 30 Year Old Single Malt 1981 realized $5,390 (high estimate: $3,800)
- One 700ml bottle of Karuizawa 27 Year Old Cask #2031 Single Cask 1987 realized $8575 (high estimate: $6,000)
- One 700ml bottle of Karuizawa Samurai Cask #3139 30 Year Old Single Malt 1984 realized $6,125 (high estimate: $4,600)
On top of all this, Zachys celebrated Don’s 85th birthday in style. A special martini toast by the Chairman, capped off by a custom two-liter martini made the last auction of the spring season in NYC a memorable one.
Don Zacharia, Chairman and CEO of Zachys, commented, “It was a delight to celebrate my 85th birthday with all of our friends, clients, and the wonderful Zachys team. And there’s no better birthday present than a successful auction! The rarity of great collections ruled today, as is evidenced by the results for the collection of Tawfiq N. Khoury and the Monumental Cellar. We’re especially delighted by the results of our significant spirits offering. This was the first time we’ve offered such a significant selection of spirits in New York, and I think we can say we’ve got ‘proof of concept’ now. We’re very excited for our auction this weekend in Hong Kong, which promises to be the biggest we’ve ever had!”
Top Lots from the May New York Auction
- Lot 223: Twelve bottles of Chateau Petrus 1982 (750ml) – Price Realized $44,100
- Lot 1262: Twelve bottles of Domaine de la Romanee Conti 1999 (Mixed) – Price Realized $36,750
- Lot 1246: One bottle of La Tache Domaine de la Romanee Conti 1985 (6L) – Price Realized $31,850
- Lot 358: One Assortment Case Domaine de la Romanee Conti 2000 (750ml) – Price Realized $29,400
- Lot 359: One Assortment Case Domaine de la Romanee Conti 2001 (750ml) – Price Realized $29,400
- Lot 1251: Twelve bottles of La Tache Domaine de la Romanee Conti 1996 (750ml) – Price Realized $29,400
- Lot 191: Six Bottles of Chateau Haut Brion 1989 (1.5L) – Price Realized $26,950
- Lot 1254: One Assortment Case Domaine de la Romanee Conti 2000 (750ml) – Price Realized $26,950
- Lot 261: Twelve Bottles of Sassicaia 1985 (750ml) – Price Realized $22,050
- Lot 1171: Seven Bottles of Chateau Petrus 1989 (750ml) – Price Realized $19,600
*All prices inclusive of a 22.5% buyer’s premium
Zachys is a third-generation family-owned business based in Scarsdale, New York, whose holdings include Zachys Wine and Liquor, New York Fine Wine Storage, Zachys Asia, and Zachys Wine Auctions. Contact Zachys Auctions at 914.448.3026, or visit zachys.com/auctions for further information.