Dallas, TX (PRWEB) July 16, 2014
The amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) treatment market value will decline from $64 million in 2013 to $38 million by 2018, at a negative Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) of 10.05%, according to research and consulting firm. The company’s latest report “OpportunityAnalyzer: Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) - Opportunity Analysis and Forecasts to 2018” states that the largest factor in this decline, which will occur over seven major markets (7MM: the US, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, the UK, and Japan), will be the patent expiration of Rilutek (riluzole), the only approved therapy for ALS.
As a consequence, Researcher forecasts that the ALS treatment market in the US is set to suffer a substantial reduction in sales over the forecast period, from $38 million in 2013 to $16 million by 2020, at a negative CAGR of 16.10%. The effect of Rilutek’s patent expiration will be exacerbated by the lack of alternative treatments in the ALS pipeline. Additionally, the recent failure of several previously promising Phase III pipeline compounds has restricted the growth of an interest in the amyotrophic lateral sclerosis therapeutics market.
The analyst believes that there is a drastic need for new therapies that can alleviate the symptoms of the disease and stop or reverse its pathology. The unmet needs in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis are reflected in the limited diversity of the current pipeline, but no dominant theories have emerged to help guide drug development. There are two pipeline drugs that will supplement Rilutek and off-label therapies. AB Science’s AB-1010, an oral tyrosine kinase inhibitor, targets the inflammatory processes that are believed to contribute to the pathogenesis of ALS, while Cytokinetics’ tirasemtiv aims to improve muscle strength through fast-muscle troponin activation. While these medications will provide greater relief of symptoms, they will not be able to reverse the course of the disease, the analyst concludes.
Key Questions Answered
- How does the patent expiration of Rilutek effect the ALS market?
- The pipeline consists of novel but unproven mechanisms of action in ALS. Which of these therapies will attain high sales revenues during 2013-2018, and in which markets?
- How large an impact will Methycobal and Edaravone have on the ALS market in Japan? What do key opinion leaders think of these treatment approaches?
- What effects will advance diagnostic and disease modeling capabilities have on drug development?
- What regulatory efforts are likely to affect drug development in the markets researched? Which is the largest growth market globally?
This report provides an overview of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), including etiology and pathophysiology, general symptoms, quality of life, country-specific treatment recommendations and epidemiologic data. It also covers annualized amyotrophic lateral sclerosis market, treatment and usage patterns from 2013 to 2018. Key topics covered include unmet needs analysis, research and development strategies, pipeline assessment and pipeline valuation analysis.
Order a purchase copy of this report at http://www.reportsnreports.com/Purchase.aspx?name=291222.
- Overview of ALS, including etiology and pathophysiology, general symptoms, quality of life, country-specific treatment recommendations and epidemiologic data.
- Annualized ALS market revenue, annual cost of treatment and usage patterns from 2013 and forecast for five years to 2018.
- Key topics covered include unmet needs analysis, research and development strategies, pipeline assessment, and pipeline valuation analysis for the ALS market.
- Pipeline valuation analysis: clinical and commercial benchmarking of AB Science's AB-1010 (masitinib), Cytokinetics' CK-2017357 (tirasemtiv), Mitsubishi Tanabe's Radicut (edaravone), Eisai's Methycobal (mecobalamin), and Orphazyme ApS' arimoclomol.
- Assessment of the current and future market competition in the global ALS drug market. Insightful review of the key industry and governmental drivers, restraints and challenges. Each trend is independently researched to provide qualitative analysis of its implications.
Request a sample copy at http://www.reportsnreports.com/contacts/RequestSample.aspx?name=291222.
Reasons to buy
- Develop and design your in-licensing and out-licensing strategies through a review of pipeline products and technologies, and by identifying the companies with the most robust pipeline.
- Develop business strategies by understanding the trends shaping and driving the ALS market.
- Drive revenues by understanding the key trends, innovative products and technologies, market segments, and companies likely to impact the global ALS market in the future.
- Formulate effective sales and marketing strategies by understanding the competitive landscape and by analyzing the performance of various competitors.
- Identify emerging players with potentially strong product portfolios and create effective counter-strategies to gain a competitive advantage.
- Organize your sales and marketing efforts by identifying the market categories and segments that present maximum opportunities for consolidations, investments and strategic partnerships.
Explore more reports on Pharmaceuticals industry at http://www.reportsnreports.com/market-research/pharmaceuticals/.
ReportsnReports.com is an online database of market research reports offer in-depth analysis of over 5000 market segments. The library has syndicated reports by leading market research publishers across the globe and also offer customized market research reports for multiple industries.